cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This looks interesting... landline-free High Speed Broadband ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This looks interesting... landline-free High Speed Broadband ?

Pinch of salt required though....
Service provider UK Broadband launches super-fast internet that can work without need of a telephone, called Relish.
Reading between the lines, it doesn't appear to offer Unlimited though, Data plans at a rising cost basis.

"We are also probably cheaper than what people paying at the moment if they had the landline and broadband together."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/broadband-joy-landline-free-service-launched-3644600#ixzz33gZdw...
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: This looks interesting... landline-free High Speed Broadband ?

Interesting, but I think to be taken with a pinch of salt.
There is a substantial level of hype in the material I've read around this offering, head-line claims of 45mbps or 65Mbps, yet the U-switch site is promoting this as a 13Mbps service.  I do wonder what speeds will be like when there are hundreds of concurrent users attached to a 4G cell?
Then their is the unhelpful highly emotive suggestion that the charge for the land line over which a broadband service is delivered, is nothing more than a "tax" Just how do people think the cost of maintaining those wires is covered, if not by a line rental?  Need to stop calling it a "phone" line and change it to something like a "digital services connection".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

My sister has a landline-less broadband service with an aerial outside her house, hits speeds of 25mbps - latency is (was?) awful though.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

It should still be "phone" line because for the majority it still goes down a analogue line that is designed and used for phones not data transfer hence why FTTC to a lesser extent and ADSL isn't as good as it could be, if and when FTTP ever becomes the norm and none of the "Phone" infrastructure is used then yes a change to calling it a "digital service line" for example would be a better fit.  
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Whatever caveats you try to put on this, it is still a conduit for delivering service - calling it a "phone" line only serves to make some people perceive they are paying for something they neither need or want.  They just do not "get" that you need a "phone" line to have broadband.  Calling it a "xxx service line" over which you can get broadband, phone or indeed TV services puts a different perspective on matters.
To anyone who tells me that the "phone" line is something that they do not require and therefore should not have to pay for, I suggest that they cut the wires and see just how well their broadband service functions.  Even with FTTC, the "phone" line is required for the "last mile" and for circuit testing.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@ Townman I totally get where your coming from but when issues arise like noise that needs to be fixed it's your phone line provider that needs to be contacted not the person that is providing your broadband / TV service as you rightly said broadband be it FTTC or ADSL still comes down a phone line, so not calling it a phone line will only confuse people even more when it comes to issues with the line that need sorting out.