Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is ridiculous!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: This is ridiculous!

Could run and post the results of a thinkbroadband speed test please: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Use the BBCode (for forums; not supported on thinkbroadband forums) Displaying Graphs link to post the results.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shiobi12
Grafter

Here you go
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As I suspected, the initial high speed on the other tests is a false indication. I must say it has all the hallmarks of a stuck profile.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: plusnettony
Looking at the bRAS, that should go up automatically, however give any of us a shout if it doesn't.

Tony,
I think we are shouting that the bRAS profile is not doing what it should.

Quote from: shiobi12
So the bRAS is the line profile? BTw speed test is still showing 17.19Mbps.
All of the tests start of well, above 12Mbps then it decreases all the way to 5-4Mbps. I'm still not achieving a download speed of 1MB when I am trying to download programs or software. I achieve a maximum of 560Kb/s..

There is room for confusion here - (as I understand it) there are 3 "profile" figures.
1. The bRAS profile - this determines how fast the DSLAM will process data
2. The CVLAN profile - that which is reported in the BTw speed tests - it is not clear to me what that does!
3. The PN profile - reported as current speed in the portal - limits how fast PN will send data to you
The synch speed detected by the DSLAM is supposed to update (1) and send it to PlusNet to create (3) - if these are aligned, the DATA speed will approach this figure.
How CVLAN fits in to the equation I do not understand, however what I observe is that the CVLAN profile is correct for the current synch rate.  (1) & (3) are not.  PlusNet sending data (3) faster than the DLSAM (1) can process it is not proficient.
Finally, be careful about the use of units...
b = bits
B = Bytes
B = 8 bits (though to allow for error management over heads assume 10 to data coms)
Roughly, on a 17Mbps link you might hope to see 1.7MBps data transfer - depending on line error rates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shiobi12
Grafter

Now I understand what you mean. Thanks Townman.
My internet just disconnected again without the phone ringing.
Looks like the disconnections have not been stopped Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Next time you get a disconnect, before doing anything else, open a Command Prompt and try
ping 212.159.6.9
shiobi12
Grafter

It disconnected but I didn't read the forum. I could have done what you said jelv.
It just disconnected about one minute ago. I did a speed test just now, you can see below.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What web address were you trying to access when you got the not connected message?
shiobi12
Grafter

I tried to login into Plusnet admin account to check the network stats.
shiobi12
Grafter

Hi there,
I was told that my upsync is out of sync by Plusnet and this is due to faulty internal equipment. I've decided to purchase a third party router as I believe I have had three Plusnet routers and they've all been the same. I purchased the TP-Link Archer D2 AC750. I'll do a download speed test tomorrow and let you all know if the problem has been fixed.
Thanks for all the replies, been so helpful.
shiobi12
Grafter

If anyone is still reading this post. THE PROBLEM IS FIXED!
A BIG IMPROVEMENT FROM 4Mbps, now on 18Mbps!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Shiobi12,
It is good to hear that you have a result - though I have my suspicions!  If you can be motivated, it would be interesting to see what your TG582n delivered now that everything is "OK".  If that shows an issue, the PN might want to arrange for its return and inspection.
Until you decided to change the router, there does not appear to have been any suggestion that the router is suspect.  I'm more than a little confused about the US synch being out of synch statement.  All the evidence herein rather pointed to a BT system profile issue.
What is now your "current speed" reported in the PN portal?  Can you please do a full BTw speed test (further diagnostics) and identify the reported profile please?
18Mbps suggests a synch speed around 21Mbps, which is about where it should be for your line's attenuation.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shiobi12
Grafter

I've still got an issue with my line. I've got a second engineer coming out but I didn't think there was a fault. Still not achieving the 1megabyte download despite the 18 megabit download.
This was my summary:
Summary: BRAT data not available however ILQ is G so 3dB must not be affecting the line quality. Needs a further engineer appointment.
I don't know what that means ^
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

BRAT is data that helps show what characteristics the line has been exhibiting. ILQ = Indicative Line Quality, G = GREEN (Good). 3db will be the downstream SNR target on your line.
The drops today seem to indicate that the fault is still ongoing, hence an engineer request.
but I didn't think there was a fault

Were the connection drops today ones that you initiated when setting up the new router?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
What software is it which is reporting the less than expected download rate?  There is the possibility that the software is being limited by its own internal configuration / operation.
What does the TBB speed test (which you ran before) report now?  That shows both single and multi-treaded speeds.