Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is ridiculous!

shiobi12
Grafter

This is ridiculous!

Hi there,
This has to be the worst ISP i've ever been with. The internet is SHOCKING and can barely load a page! The internet cuts out when the phone rings (Changed the ADSL filter). My download speed is 500KB/s average despite the fact I used to get at least 1MB when downloading. My peak was 2.5mb/s.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3985265092.png - Look at that speed. I pay for good service but the service is not what I am getting. I think I am at the end of the contract so if the internet does not improve, I'll leave. I refuse to pay for an engineer because it will cost £99 for internet service I should already have. What a rip of company Plusnet is.
49 REPLIES 49
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: This is ridiculous!

if the connection drops when you receive a call then you have a line fault (assuming you have replaced ALL the filters, not just the one the router is connected to).
is the router connected to the master socket or an extension? if not, connected it to the master socket and disconnect all other phones and filters.
test it and dial your landline with a mobile and see what happens.
why do you think you would need to pay for an engineer?
you would only pay if the fault was found to be inside your premises... and you will have checked all the already haven't you ?
how about you stop with your ranting and supply some relevant information so that it can be troubleshoed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Was this issue http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124746.msg1088972.html#msg1088972 from earlier this year with the phone line ever completely resolved?
Or this one - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123473.msg1072088.html#msg1072088 - posted a month earlier or this one - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123473.msg1072088.html#msg1072088 - from a year ago or even this this one - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118312.msg1024951.html#msg1024951 - again two months earlier?  Multiple threads on the same issue are exceedingly unhelpful.  Seems on each occasion the investigation has reached the point of confirming the need for an engineer visit and you have "dropped the case".  Your complaint above at PlusNET in this context seems at least a little unreasonable.
Sounds like you have a long phone line.  Until / unless the phone line issues are resolved, you have no chance of improving broadband from any ISP.  This is a BTOR problem: understanding this will help you to work better with PlusNET and forum members to attain a resolution of the problem.
Can you please start by posting all of the information requested in the speed issues thread and answer the questions above.
Is the line still noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2.  If there is any noise on the line, then get that resolved with your phone provider first - is that also PlusNET?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've had a look back over your account and I can't see that you've reported a fault to us, so I'm not sure where the £99 charge has been mentioned. You haven't reported any issues to us since July, when we asked you to go through the faults checker.
Unless you report the issues to us we cannot help resolve them.
As the others have mentioned, if you've been through all of the steps asked of you then there should be no reason for the engineers charge to be applied.
If you'd like us to help resolve your issue please report it to us at https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shiobi12
Grafter

Sorry for the rant - I was angry because that was the worst ever been.. Looking back I have been unreasonable but I always thought I had to pay £99 for an engineer to come out. I apologize for that.
I've replaced the filters.
Plugged the connection into the test socket and the master socket.
The line is not noisy anymore.
I'll report the fault again and actually persist with it this time. When the faults check is done, the engineer will visit the exchange to diagnose the fault..
Sorry once again, was feeling fuming Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If plugging into the test socket with a new filter clears the noise from the line it would be a good idea to see what happens to the broadband as that may well have cured the problem
Does the cutting out when the phone rings still happen
Chris
Legend

Sorry for the rant - I was angry because that was the worst ever been..

No problem, just keep in mind we're here to help.
The questions asked by Oldjim are good ones though, if the filter has made a difference then that may have been the cuplrit.
Your line is connected at 6652 through to the exchange which is much lower than I'd expect for your line length (15.5db attenutation). This is because the exchange equipment has seen instability previously on your line and has 'banded' it, this is done to stablise the line but will sacrifice speed to do so.
As the line is now stable and the quality looks good I'm going to remove the banding, this should happen in the next 4 hours. Can you leave everything set up as it currently is as that seems to be very very stable.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shiobi12
Grafter

It still does. Sometimes the internet will stay connected and other times it will drop. Phone just rang now and it dropped out.
If the issue is found within my property - will I be charged on the day or at the end of the month?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you are connected to the test socket it can't be your equipment (you have tried two filters already) so you won't be charged at all
Chris
Legend

Phone just rang now and it dropped out.

Sad
Ah that's not good. I see you've finished the faults checker, we'll get that picked up and your line tested.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
It might be the case that you have more than one issue - within and without of your property.
Your response above implied that the noise went away when in the test socket with a new filter.
Quote from: shiobi12

One might therefore imply that there was noise heard on the line before you did anything.  That noise could have been down to the filter OR if the router / phone were previously plugged in to an extension down to internal wiring.
As Jim implies, given that things are still not right with the service connected to the master / test socket then there is an external issue for which there is no charge.  ADSL dropping on an inbound call could be down to the filter and / or in-exchange equipment (line card).  Please check your line regularly for noise - it can be intermittent.  Are voice calls crystal clear and of a constant volume?
Dial 17070 option 2 - listen for a while and do it often - there is no charge for this call.
Does broadband performance seem better after an inbound phone call?  If yes that could be indicative of a bad joint (but not broken) joint.  Sometimes marginal lines can be very difficult to fix, especially if there are damp joints, as ring currents (higher voltage on the line) can dry them out.
Wherever this issue goes please keep it on this thread, especially if this issue seems to "go away" and come back again in a couple of weeks (or more).  Sadly obscure line faults have been known to drag on for months - this can nothing to do with ability or willingness to resolve a problem, but (especially in rural areas) the simple practicality of locating the fault.
After PN have sorted out the external issues, we can revisit the internal wiring with you IF there appears to be additional issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

Just as a quick update on this, the banding has been removed and the line is now syncing at over 19000. We still need to investigate why the line drops on a phone call, but from a raw speed POV it's certainly looking much better.
@shiobi12
Can you log in to your router and press disconnect and then connect (just once) and then try another speedtest.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Something to try. Plug the filter and router ONLY (without a phone) in to the test socket inside the master socket. Then ring your number using your mobile. If that causes errors and the line to drop it absolutely rules out everything on your side.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shiobi12
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Just as a quick update on this, the banding has been removed and the line is now syncing at over 19000. We still need to investigate why the line drops on a phone call, but from a raw speed POV it's certainly looking much better.
@shiobi12
Can you log in to your router and press disconnect and then connect (just once) and then try another speedtest.

I've just done it and used the BT wholesale speed test. It shows Download Speed @ 4.84MB/s. Upload @ 0.34MB/s Ping @ 40.25MS. I think the download speed has improved by 3MB from the first speed test I did this afternoon for the faults ticket. I'm still not achieving 1MB Sad I've got 570KB/s max.
Quote from: Townman
Hi,
It might be the case that you have more than one issue - within and without of your property.
Your response above implied that the noise went away when in the test socket with a new filter.
Quote from: shiobi12

One might therefore imply that there was noise heard on the line before you did anything.  That noise could have been down to the filter OR if the router / phone were previously plugged in to an extension down to internal wiring.
As Jim implies, given that things are still not right with the service connected to the master / test socket then there is an external issue for which there is no charge.  ADSL dropping on an inbound call could be down to the filter and / or in-exchange equipment (line card).  Please check your line regularly for noise - it can be intermittent.  Are voice calls crystal clear and of a constant volume?
Dial 17070 option 2 - listen for a while and do it often - there is no charge for this call.
Does broadband performance seem better after an inbound phone call?  If yes that could be indicative of a bad joint (but not broken) joint.  Sometimes marginal lines can be very difficult to fix, especially if there are damp joints, as ring currents (higher voltage on the line) can dry them out.
Wherever this issue goes please keep it on this thread, especially if this issue seems to "go away" and come back again in a couple of weeks (or more).  Sadly obscure line faults have been known to drag on for months - this can nothing to do with ability or willingness to resolve a problem, but (especially in rural areas) the simple practicality of locating the fault.
After PN have sorted out the external issues, we can revisit the internal wiring with you IF there appears to be additional issues.

I've just tried the number and there is no noise on the line. The voices are crystal clear and have the same volume.
Quote from: jelv
Something to try. Plug the filter and router ONLY (without a phone) in to the test socket inside the master socket. Then ring your number using your mobile. If that causes errors and the line to drop it absolutely rules out everything on your side.

My connection is connected to the test socket anyways. This is better than the master socket. The internet still worked when I rang, I think it disconnects only when I answer or when it wants to drop when the phone rings.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
What is the "current speed" shown here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (you will need to log into the portal)
What is the "profile" reported by the FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS part of the BTw speed test?
I've just done it and used the BT wholesale speed test.
It shows Download Speed @ 4.84MB/s. Upload @ 0.34MB/s Ping @ 40.25MS. I think the download speed has improved by 3MB from the first speed test I did this afternoon for the faults ticket.
I'm still not achieving 1MB Sad I've got 570KB/s max.

I do not understand the last bit UNLESS you have got your units inconsistent!  Wink
Line speed is measure in BITS per second as in 4.8Mbps (4.8 mega bits per second) or 4800kbps (4800 killa bits per second)
On the other hand PROGRAMS downloading data tend to report speed in BYTES per second as in 570kBps
1 BYTE = 8 BITS but you also have to account for error correction bits in each byte, so for bit rate conversion to byte rate, you ought to recon on 10 bits to the byte.
This would fully explain your expectations gap!  Wink
HOWEVER, if your line is synching at 19Mbps
Quote from: Chris
Just as a quick update on this, the banding has been removed and the line is now syncing at over 19000

Then your profile figures should be around 16.7Mbps, giving around 1.5MBps data transfer, as actual is slightly less than the profile.
Post the router stats please would be helpful too.
HTH?
Kevin