cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is driving me nutts

DaveMcC
Grafter

This is driving me nutts

Rant first, why when I log into the PN site, do we have to relog into the forum, different log-in name different password.
Totally stupid when you are at a different computer wanting to the following. (Rant over)
Due to what I believed, to be a faulty router, I bought a new one "Asus DSL-N12U"  which took from 3:30pm yesterday until 11pm last night to get a stable connection which is not fully connected, ie no wifi?
In the list of ADSL Connection Settings Table which came with the router UK is as follows
ISP                          Connection Type
AOL                        PPPoE
BE                            iPoA
Karoo/Kingston    PPPoA
O2                          MER
Orange                  PPPoA
Talk Talk                PPPoA
[b]No BT no Plusnet
PPPoE  = Point to Point Popocall over Ethernet
PPPoA =  Point to Point Popocall over ATM "phone line ?"
Which should I be set onto to.
When the Asus software was showing a connection, I could not connect to the www to any web page google, ebay, plus net, nothing
Not only that ! but when I put the old Net Gear wired router back on, it also failed to connect, like wise with the Netgear wireless router, but after a lot of f#cking about and f#ucking at them they did start to re-connect
Final point, why does the wifes "Samsung Google Book, bought in mid Jan" now, not connect to the www, it is connecting to the wifi, but not www
The last time I seen this type of thing happen was 8 weeks before Christmas, the owners of the line/ b-band got the run around from both the line carrier and the isp blaming each other, it turned out to have 30 faults in the line from their house to the phone exchange, X miles away, which was only resloved 3-5 weeks ago.
To recap
What setting should this router have from the above.
Will post poto's later
Dave
9 REPLIES 9
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: This is driving me nutts

You need the PPOA option.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

PPPoA VC-MUX is the usual setting, though it is possible to use PPPoE LLC as well. I did notice a slight variation in speed when I tried, but don't remember which was better  Huh
Note: changing this setting in the "router" section did not cause the "modem" section of the modem/router to re-sync Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
DaveMcC
Grafter

Why does the wifes Samsung Googlebook, tell me the page is unavailable, she cannot get onto the www,
I see her Thompson router "which I use a a repeater has 2 flashing lights now  Angry  Cool  Crazy
Green to left ON, next two are flashing, as I have no documentation for router could some one tell me what the flashing means, apart from "it ain't working" Undecided
Dave
DaveMcC
Grafter

The two flashing lights are
Ethernet
wifi
Both flashing all the time, even after I have changed passwords with the net book turned OFF, no other wifi item in the house?
Can any one help with flashy lights please
Dave
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

See http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
The flashing lights, maybe because you have not set things up right or if you have, maybe the TR-069 system hasn't updated itself.
If you change your broadband password, you need to change it at the member centre as well as in the modem/router and also for the login of your default Plusnet email account. You can change your forum password to whatever you like without affecting anything else and you can tick the box to stay logged in so you don't have to do that everytime you come here.
HTH.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

So, you have continuous(?) flashing on the ethernet and wifi - what connections are there on that unit? Is it possible that you have a network loop set up, as inexpensive (cheap) devices do not detect the situation and data is going in circles Roll_eyes Disconnect any ethernet cables in sequence to check.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
DaveMcC
Grafter

Yahoo
All up and running as it should be, Thomson router was at fault, now have my old wired router back in place as number 1 beside the master phone socket
Asus router has now replaced the Thomson unit, as for the flashing lights, I may not have noticed them before as the unit was further back, than when I was having the sore head sorting out the "Can't find web site errror (0137)? think that's it, any way gone now.
Flashing lights on the router.  This is because I have / had it set as a repeater and not as ADSL unit, when in that configuration, that all do it "Thomson"
Dave
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Rant first, why when I log into the PN site, do we have to relog into the forum, different log-in name different password.

I hear what you're saying, it's a completely separate website, however why not allow your browser to save the login details for you?
Let us know if you need any further help.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For security reasons  Huh    The forum is a different matter, just tick the box  Wink