cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is beyond ridiculous! Speed drops!

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

This is beyond ridiculous! Speed drops!

Ive had to put up with such terrible Internet speeds ever since I joined Plusnet. I stayed loyal by trying to overcome them and have them fixed which at times they have. But I think now its come to a point enough is enough. Im a gamer so reliable speeds is a must for me to give me a healthy online experience without lags. But I get both lags and also issues with some games i cannot okay online with friends due to port issues. Ive had the same exact router with my previous ISP O2 and i did not have a single issue with anything at all. Due to moving flats i had to end my broadband with O2. This gave me the opportunity to look for other ISPs for my new flat which is in the same estate as my previous home so Internet speeds should be exactley the same. I had recently changed my package to unlimited because i had previously had been on the 60gb limit package. The first month was perfect i hadn't had a better experience with my speeds since i joined plusnet but it all came to an end with my speeds dropping to 0.4mb randomly during the day for a good few hours . They're very in unpredictable so i dont have a clue when it would perfect to jump on the ps3. What is happening?
25 REPLIES 25
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: This is beyond ridiculous! Speed drops!

Quote from: ashrafmiah93
my new flat which is in the same estate as my previous home so Internet speeds should be exactley the same.

I'm sorry but that is just not true.  Assuming your equipment is working properly then your internet speed depends on the length of the line between your house and the telephone exchange and the amount of radio frequency noise/interference on the line.  The former might be much the same throughout your estate, but not necessarily.  The latter can vary tremendously and can be down to local factors under your control (for example you forgot to fit an ADSL filter on the Sky box) or completely out of your control (your neighbour has some faulty electrical equipment).
If you post the stats from your router then we can see what the problem might be.

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Well my previous flat and current one are in the same exact building. It's one estate with many flats. So telephone exchange distance is out of the question. Ive spoken with my neighbours including the one right next door to me about their Internet speeds they seem to have no issues being with other ISPs that is. The flat i live in is newly refurbished if that makes a difference. How do I post my stats for my router btw lol?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Get them here http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
Then copy and paste them into your post
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Currently your profiles on BTs and our side are matching at around 5.3Mb/s - please let us know if this isn't what you're seeing, and also please advise what sorts of speeds you were seeing in the previous flat?
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Here are the stats for my router

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 7 days, 21:50:05
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Fast
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,096 / 6,048
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,056 / 6,048
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 89.80
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 65,539 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 131,108 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 42 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 923 / 22,665
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 53 / NA
Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
Currently your profiles on BTs and our side are matching at around 5.3Mb/s - please let us know if this isn't what you're seeing, and also please advise what sorts of speeds you were seeing in the previous flat?

When my internet is running as normal yes between 4-5MB is what I get. In my previous flat which is 2 flats away from me in the same block of flats I got 8MB speeds and 98% of the time it remained that way and please believe that im not just saying that. My ideal situation is to stay with plusnet their prices are unmatchable in my opinion and to be honest when it runs smoothly im really happy with the service hence why i didnt switch ISPs. Its moments like im having now i get really frustrated with. I remember the first month after my package change i actually managed to join friends online on Grand Theft Auto 4 which i could never do before due to port issues or whatever so something during that period was the best iv had in 2 years. Until now it went back to normal so yes there is a solution since ive experience it running perectly.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks to me like you are on a 21CN WBC connection but connecting using the ADSL1 protocol. Has that been set through choice because of connection instability on ADSL2/2+?
David
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I didnt change anything 😕 I dont like to fiddle with these sort of things since im not a expert with these things lol. How can I solve this issue im having? Ill post anymore stats or whatever if you want to try and figure out what the issue is
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: spraxyt
It looks to me like you are on a 21CN WBC connection but connecting using the ADSL1 protocol.

I am curious to know how you figure that out.  Is it possible to get such a high upstream speed on ADSL1 protocol?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

G.992.1  is ADSL for ADSL2+ you'd expect to see G.992.5
here:
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: ashrafmiah93
The flat i live in is newly refurbished if that makes a difference.

That could be significant if they messed about with the telephone extensions!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
G.992.1  is ADSL for ADSL2+ you'd expect to see G.992.5
here:
DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Could that be why my net is messing about? How do I fix it then?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It needs someone from Plusnet to check how your line was provisioned.
Either your line was provisioned on ADSL1 or there is a problem on your line that means ADSL2+ and ADSL2 don't work well and it has automatically dropped back to ADSL1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's provisioned as ADSL1 on 21CN, hence the uncapped upstream. I'd be happy to place the regrade to move it to ADSL2+ but I'm not convinced there'd be any difference in speed.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Modify is placed to move you up to ADSL2+, it'll complete tomorrow for you. Hope it improves the speed.