cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of upgrading to fibre - question about the installation

phile
Grafter

Thinking of upgrading to fibre - question about the installation

I'm currently on standard ADSL but thinking of going for fibre. My current set up is as follows:
ADSL faceplate on the master socket, which is in the hallway.
Thomson router sits in the hallway & plugs into the faceplate.
Ethernet cable comes out of the router, into a RJ45 wall socket which is connected by cat5e to another wall socket in another room.
The rest of the house's network is ultimately plugged into this second RJ45 socket.
My question is, if I go for fibre can I just do the following:
- replace the existing Thomson router with the new BT modem
- plug the new router into the RJ45 at the other end of the cat5e (ie in the other room, not the hallway next to the modem)
... or does it not work that way?
Phil
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Thinking of upgrading to fibre - question about the installation

That should work just fine as the BT modem just needs an ethernet (cat5e) cable to the router.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
phile
Grafter

OK thanks!
phile
Grafter

OK, my fibre upgrade is on order.
One other thing that occurs to me - will the BT engineer insist on replacing the master socket faceplate? I currently have (and trust) an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 which, so far as I know, will be OK for FTTC.
w23
Pro

Yes, they fit the BT Openreach FTTC faceplate.  If you have an XTE-2005 they should leave that for you but the BT one is absolutely fine (unless faulty).
I don't think the XTE will fit back on the new set-up though.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
phile
Grafter

Thanks again. I guess the XTE will be redundant then. I just thought I could save the engineer a job but if they're obliged to use the Openreach one I've no particular objection. Might even get a new master socket out of it - the current one is a bit old and yellowing!
w23
Pro

Just make sure the kettle is on when he gets there  Wink
Call me 'w23'
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Phil,
Looks like everything is in hand, and you'll soon be having great speeds. Any questions just give us a shout.
phile
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Looking forward to it!