James
Grafter

Re: Thinking of unlimited

Gareth - Answering your ticket now.
GarethNelson
Dabbler

Quote from: GarethNelson
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rules ]

I really need to apologise to the mods for this, used to forums where a full quote is the default behaviour for all replies.
@jameseh closing the ticket Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No apologies needed.
I understand your point although it does annoy me on some forums when trying to read the answer to a question and you have to trawl through half a page of quotes to find it  Roll_eyes
GarethNelson
Dabbler

It is default behaviour in MyBB and vThreads from what I understand, and it just so happens that all the forums I hang out on run one of these 2. Kinda makes sense if you're engaged in lots of debates (in which case, even then you're best off cutting up quotes and responding point by point), but not so much sense here.
And with that rambling done, i'm outta here - will post again with a review of the unlimited package for other customers once i'm switched over.
godsell4
Rising Star

If you are on a Marke 1 or 2 exchange the cost per month of BBYW3 is similar to Unlimited, I'd try BBYW3 for a while.
Note: Once you have moved from the BBYW range of product there is NO going back to them, but you can swap between them at will.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
GarethNelson
Dabbler

I'm curious, since BBYW3 still has a usage allowance, what is the benefit of it above BBYW pro (my current package)?
The only reason i'm switching to unlimited is because of the usage allowance, which I can sacrifice some bandwidth during the day for.
James
Grafter

All traffic in Pro is prioritised.
So basically you should be able to get line speed on pretty much anything at all times of the day.
GarethNelson
Dabbler

That of course would be an argument to stick with my current package, not an argument to drop it and switch to option 3.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: GarethNelson
It is default behaviour in MyBB

I don't think so. It's the difference between clicking Reply and Quote. If responding to the last post click Reply, otherwise (if you are responding to specific points in an earlier post that need quoting) click quote.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GarethNelson
Dabbler

Just tested, it is indeed the default behaviour on MyBB:
http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthread.php?tid=16864
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does the New Reply button do?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GarethNelson
Dabbler

heh, you have a point there Smiley
The "new reply" button at the bottom of the page takes you to another page with a form where you can fill in a blank post. But of course, most people click just "reply", replying directly to the single post they want to reply to. I've seen plugins that can turn the view into a multithreaded discussion using this system.
GarethNelson
Dabbler

I promised i'd post a reply with a review, so i'll do 2 reviews.............
First, is my "first impressions" review, i'll give another one a few days from now:
I woke up this morning to find an email from plusnet confirming the change, so to start testing I fired up a torrent i've been meaning to grab. On the previous package, this torrent would run at 70kbps, it's currently running at 20kbps and keeps dropping down to 8kbps randomly. However, this is not a major problem as it can now run 24/7 and is actually running at similar speeds to what I would limit torrents to myself during the day.
General web traffic actually seems about the same or even slightly better, although I am told by another customer "things will get worse from 2pm". IRC is pretty much identical.
Second Life is stunningly fast, which is odd - I was expecting a much greater amount of lag. Based on the type of protocol SL uses, that probably means other kinds of weird UDP traffic in high ranges will be quite fast, though I haven't yet tested this.
In total, the only real slowdown is on torrents, but that's an acceptable tradeoff for the lower price and seeming performance improvements on other types of traffic.
This is all at around 10am, I will post later after 2pm when apparently "things will get much worse".
GarethNelson
Dabbler

Apparently only downloading "will get much worse", by which I presume this guy (can I name you?) means the torrent.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

yeah it's me Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'