cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of changing product, advice please

Palmski
Grafter

Thinking of changing product, advice please

I'm currently on a *really* old product (PAYG monthly) and I'm looking at the upgrade options largely because I don't think I'm getting value for money any more. I've only got a 2Gb monthly limit after which I get a £2 per £2Gb charge which I'm finding I'm hitting more and more, hence the thoughts about changing.
Premium seems to be the best option as it has an astronomical usage limit and not quite the bandwidth restrictions you see on the Value package, yet it is still £11.99 a month, ie cheaper.
My current product has no speed restrictions at all, given I generally download music/games/software, stream the occasional video clip and the usual browsing/email etc will I notice much of a difference in speeds? My exchange isn't ADSL2+ enabled and judging from the reports it's not likely to be anytime soon either. I'm generally getting ~4Mbs download speed right now.
Also I've read elsewhere that the £11.99 per month is only for the first 3 months and after that the price rises, however that is not stated anywhere in the upgrade process, can anyone confirm what I'll be paying long term?
Any advice appreciated....
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Thinking of changing product, advice please

Welcome to the forum
The info is on the portal and here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
Stuff you need to know
If you leave Plusnet in your first 12 months after receiving a free set-up, router or house move, we'll charge you for these. If you remain with Plusnet for 12 months after receiving a free set-up, router or house move these charges will be waived. You can also choose to pay for any of these up front if you want more flexibility. Prices displayed are inclusive of VAT. View our terms and conditions.
* - Plusnet Value broadband starts at £5.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas  you'll then pay this price every month. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £11.99 a month thereafter.
** - Plusnet Premium Broadband starts at £11.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay £15.99 a month thereafter. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £19.99 a month thereafter.
which links to this http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/low_cost_areas.shtml
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks, I've been browsing the site for what seems like hours but couldn't track down that info for some reason. Problem clearly existing between chair and keyboard etc.
Especially as now I look again at the upgrade page the info is clearly stated on there as well. Epic fail, sigh. Still, it seems I'm one of the lucky ones and I am in a "low cost" area so if I should upgrade to Premium it will be roughly the same monthly charge. The question then comes down to how much I'll notice the speed restrictions. Can anyone comment?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Your streaming will be fine, your downloads depend on where you are downloading them from.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
Downloads are largely Steam,  iTunes & similar, nothing obvious from the download sites listed as being specifically bandwidth restricted, I assume that's what you're getting at?
I think the key question is probably will my wife be able to play her browser based games - everything else pales into insignificance apparently  Roll_eyes
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Palmski
Still, it seems I'm one of the lucky ones and I am in a "low cost" area so if I should upgrade to Premium it will be roughly the same monthly charge.

Same monthly charge as what?
Quote from: pierre_pierre
* - Plusnet Value broadband starts at £5.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas  you'll then pay this price every month. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £11.99 a month thereafter.
** - Plusnet Premium Broadband starts at £11.99 a month for the first 3 months.If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay £15.99 a month thereafter. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £19.99 a month thereafter.
Palmski
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: Palmski
Still, it seems I'm one of the lucky ones and I am in a "low cost" area so if I should upgrade to Premium it will be roughly the same monthly charge.

Same monthly charge as what?

My existing product, £14.99 a month + £2 per £2Gb.
adie:orange fixed quotes to remove full quote of previous post as per link:rules]
Zap
Grafter

I used to be on that plan, I thought I was the very last one off it!
I migrated onto BBYW which costs the same £14.99 but gives me 15gb a month, I don't know if you can get them to put you on this plan? Probably not. (the full name is PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 (Monthly Contract)
One thing I would recommend is that you get someone like MAND to agree that you can switch back to your current plan if you are not happy.
You are right that PN charges £19.99 for both Premium and Pro, one just has a discount to £11.99 for 3 months.  The difference in products are the traffic shaping profile and 20gb vs 80gb download.
If you can manage without VPN then there is always the Value product with 10gb at £5.99 but again be careful, if you are not in the right exchange then the price increases to  £11.99 per month after 3 months. Again the traffic shaping may not suit you but you can always migrate again when that becomes a problem.
I think there is a gap in the PN offerings at the moment at the £15 a month mark, especially for those in exchanges with no investment. I use VPN's and VoIP (not with Plusnet) so the basic service is no good for me.
If you want to see the traffic shaping differences between the various Plusnet plans (old and new) visit http://tinyurl.com/PnTraffic
dgp
Rising Star

I am also on BBYW Option 2 and just come to the end of a 12 month 'loyalty discount' so have only been paying £11.65 (15% VAT).  Its now gone back to £14.99.  So I have looked at the options and as I need VPN I might as stay where I am, my exchange is not one of the cheaper ones.  So I'm with you Zap we need an offering aimed at us.
I also waiting for Digital Region South Yorkshire to come on stream, so wouldn't want to commit myself in case PlusNet decide not to offer it.
hop
Grafter

dgp - just sent you a personal message....