cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about getting new Router - BT Home Hub 5 router to replace the Thomson

nigbose

Thinking about getting new Router - BT Home Hub 5 router to replace the Thomson

Dear all,
am thinking about getting a BT Home Hub 5 router to replace the one that was supplied by Plusnet (Thomson).
Can this one also replace the VDSL modem as well or is that only with BT Infinity? I have the fibre optic package.
Otherwise, have also been looking at Asus RT-AC56U (and its more expensive cousin the Asus RT-AC66U) and the Buffalo WZR-1166DHP.
I have a smallish flat (5 rooms, mainly thinking about wifi connections although I do have a small server that uses an ethernet connection.
Any advice or pointers gratefully received!
Smiley
Tom
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 5

Re: Thinking about getting new Router - BT Home Hub 5 router to replace the Thomson

Yeah, the retail HH5s work fine with our Fibre connections.  You'll need to put your connection details in though.
Kelly Dorset
Broadband Service Manager
quark
Dabbler

Re: Thinking about getting new Router - BT Home Hub 5 router to replace the Thomson

I'm using the HH5 on Plusnet instead of the supplied separate modem and router with no problems as such. A couple of days after I installed it the firmware updated and then I started getting the disconnects that you may have read about. I found the solution that worked for me on one of the forums ( can't remember which one ) All I did was after it had updated the firmware, do a "Factory Reset" of the router/modem and enter all your details again but manually instead of using the setting restore facility.
Net result I haven't had any disconnects since.  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Otherwise, have also been looking at Asus RT-AC56U

I've been using the Asus RT-N56U for 18 months in a 4 double bedroom house & it works extremely well on both broadcast frequencies. Smiley
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Get the asus.  Ive been using one of the older models N56U for about a year now and its brill
jslane
Grafter

I'm using a HH5 and haven't had any problems. Would definitely recommend one.
buseng12
Grafter

What about the widely reported disconnection problems with the latest firmware?
This could be the root of my speed/profile  problems with the continual "Send Termination Request-User Request" log entries.
Apart from that it works ok, yes.