Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ThinkBroadband Quality monitor results and possible time-of-day issue

oliverb
Grafter

ThinkBroadband Quality monitor results and possible time-of-day issue

Some advice please, I seem to have bursts of poor service:
I'm looking after a small office LAN with a Plusnet internet connection.
I'm getting a lot of grumbling about poor internet service here, however nothing definite and my line stats appear stable. There are times when regular web access becomes incredibly slow, or when status emails from a NAS box fail to arrive.
Thinkbroadband's quality monitor is giving me reports like this:

Now the odd thing is that mostly this stuff is happening out-of-hours, however I am carrying out backup jobs over VPN after midnight and some days it is bad enough to prevent VPN access.
I've opened a series of tickets with Plusnet, however they generally fizzle out as I get referred to the broadband fault process and some of the tests on that would seriously inconvenience me for example using a substitute router would require me to replicate the DHCP settings on the substitute, not a trivial task.
6 REPLIES 6
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: ThinkBroadband Quality monitor results and possible time-of-day issue

Interesting....have you an idea of noise margin, error seconds, fec errors, crc errors whilst experiencing this packet loss.
Is a business grade router?
Try the BQM with the internal LAN disconnected overnight, the router may be busy routeing (backing up maybe) and just not replying to the TBB BQM pings.
Is a business grade router?
Can we have a description of the setup (no off PC’s, switch’s NAS's Server's etc)
IAn
oliverb
Grafter

7 PCs that should have been off at the time, one NAS box (Linkstation WV2.0TL) one switch, one additional WiFi access point.
Router is a Draytek 2600X.
Telephone socket is fitted with faceplate filter.
Speed is 4640000 SNR 7.0 Attenuation 49.5 and at this time I believe those figures to be stable though the line has given problems in the past.
If the backup job was running it would have started at 1am and lasted less than 15 minutes, currently it isn't running.
oliverb
Grafter

For what its worth this is what a good day looks like:

As you can see daytime activity is influencing the latency results but it is not leading to packet loss.
AndyH
Grafter

Which exchange are you on? Have you looked at whether fibre is available?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: oliverb
I've opened a series of tickets with Plusnet, however they generally fizzle out as I get referred to the broadband fault process and some of the tests on that would seriously inconvenience me for example using a substitute router would require me to replicate the DHCP settings on the substitute, not a trivial task.

You need to run through that process.  We ask that you try with a different router to rule it out.  If we send an engineer and it turns out to be the router, a charge will apply, hence the test.  If you really can't swap out the router and will accept that risk, let us know.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I just double checked some stuff and you're on a pretty slow line, and your pn line profile is set too high.  This means that when your back ups are running, it's probably flattening any other activity.  With the profile set right, the traffic management should look after your VPN etc.
Let me know if that's any better.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager