cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I'm being throttled - is it possible to unthrottle me?

kopperdrake
Grafter

Think I'm being throttled - is it possible to unthrottle me?

Hi,
I've had abnormally high useage the last month or so and today noticed my speed has gone from its staggering 90kps to around 33kps, so I suspect I'm being throttled. I didn't realise that this was how it worked until I scouted these forums, thinking that plus.net would be happy for me to pay extra per gigabyte at their higher tarriff as and when I used it, as I normally don't use this much.
However, I'm desperate to get my download speed back to the 90kps mark and have just upgraded my account to 14Gb built in, is it possible to reset my throttling mark if it has indeed been set. My livelihood depends on my connection. Is there a better package for me if this is going to happen? My only issue is that I can use 4-6Gb happily for months on end then I can get an unexpected peak, which is what has happened now Sad
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Think I'm being throttled - is it possible to unthrottle me?

Can't see any restrictions from our side. If we had restricted your account it would be to 128kbps, not 33.
I'll have a look see if there have been any changes to your line profile with BT.
What are your line stats on your router showing?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking further, you've only used 1.72GB at peak times and you have the usage set to 'flex', which means when you reach 8GB we simply add more on and charge you £1 per GB for it.
I can't see any changes from BT's side since the start of the month. Can you try giving your modem/router a restart and see if that picks up the speeds at all.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kopperdrake
Grafter

Oh thanks Chris Cheesy I'm downloading from a render farm's ftp site - I guess they must have it busy their end 😕 My router says 1024 upload, which is normal on this line (it seems to go up and down depending on the weather, which sounds crazy but it really does seem to make a difference). At the first chance I'll reboot it incase I can get anything faster.
Thanks for letting me know it's okay your end. As I'm flex, does that mean I can stay at paying out for 8Gb up front and go over that as and when and just pay extra without any speed penalty?
Cheers for the help Smiley