Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thick walls, poor wireless connectivity - what options do I have

James
Grafter

Re: Thick walls, poor wireless connectivity - what options do I have

Quote from: Strat
This has been discussed before but as I understand it they have to be on the same phase rather than ring and a house with a multi-phase supply is quite rare.

My parents have one of these rare scenarios Sad
Either that or I just couldn't work out how to set it up Cheesy
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

I understand Homeplugs performance can suffer where RCD are used.
You can also get homeplugs with a built in wireless extender, so not only do you extend your network for a wired connection but also create a wireless access point.
Dan.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: KevinG
but I'm not sure how you get 150Mbps out of them as they only have 100Mbps LAN ports on them!

Isn't the 200 the total speed on the homeplug network so 2x100 (up and down) can give you more than 100.

Not sure about that. I know some have said it is misleading to advertise units without gigabit LAN ports as being capable of 200Mbps and I am inclined to agree, but the losses on these units with distance generally means that it's not a limiting factor. 500Mbps units have gigabit ports.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You wouldn't get 150Mbps out of wifi, even if it was in the same room.
Since Plusnet supply routers with 100Mbps ports, you would be lucky to get 80Mbps on a standard wired connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Un
Since Plusnet supply routers with 100Mbps ports, ...

The Zyxel router supplied to 80/20 triallists has gigabit ports. 100Mb ports are fine for Internet access up to 80Mb. In any case, one could be running a separate internal network off a Gigabit switch and/or suitably rated homeplug devices.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Quote from: Dan
I understand Homeplugs performance can suffer where RCD are used.
You can also get homeplugs with a built in wireless extender, so not only do you extend your network for a wired connection but also create a wireless access point.
Dan.

Exactly the setup we use.  The router is in an extension, behind a thick wall, but the wireless extender is in the middle of the living room which is pretty central, so we get excellent wifi reception up in the bedrooms.  It's so good that I've turned off the router's own wireless.  The extender provides it's own SID, and relies on the router's DHCP to give out addresses.

Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you know wireless can have it's own issues. If Homeplugs are going to suit the requirement there shouldn't be a problem. A friend of mine is using 3 across 2 ring mains without any problem, one connected to his Samsung TV.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Wow, such a wealth of advice. Thanks to all for your contributions, and I'm sure there will be more to follow.
I'm going to recommend to my parents the TPlink adapters in jelv's link. This appears the simplest solution that meets their needs, and the easiest to offer support to if necessary over the phone (they live 70 miles away). 
My other car isn't a Ferrari
dqj999
Dabbler

It must be a pretty big house! I don't think it is considered safe these days to have multi-phase wiring in one property, as there an increased risk of between-phase electrocution.