cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These routers are not worth the P+P let alone £40!

mcorne
Dabbler

Re: These routers are not worth the P+P let alone £40!

Well this thread has become massively skewed towards the TG582n but I'm remain here crying at my feeble attempts to port forward. Gonna be a late night!
All I want is a router to work. The ones provided really should! I can't speak for the 582n but my 585v7 is possible the worst thing I have ever used (worse than the HP iPaq running Windows Mobile, that actually did what it said!).
At least you guys don't send the 585 out anymore!
And, yes, we did buy a new router that blew up when plugged in -.- May have to try the 582n since it's £5 despite what I'm hearing here or get a nice netgear if I have to.
Not bashing because everyone else is, my current router is abysmal.
taras
Grafter

what ports are you trying to forward Smiley ?
mcorne
Dabbler

just set a new record - half an hour to port forward 3 ports!
443 -> 22
80 -> 80
22 -> 22
and set up Dynamic DNS, woop Cheesy
smartyKD
Dabbler

This is worthy of a bump, just to add my two penneth!
Been with PlusNet for only 2 weeks now, but already decided the router is a piece of junk. I've set up port forwarding twice now, and it works initially then after a bit of time it seems to lose these settings, or becomes "disconnected" with the device and it's MAC address, so it no longer works. Could be after a reboot, it might not be.
So pretty much it's a useless piece of plastic for me.
Anyone recommend a good replacement? Can I get a refund on the P&P for this doorstop?:)
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've returned 2 of the Technicolor so called fibre routers. I'm now using  a TP Link WR1043ND. It's much faster & there is no speed loss wirelessly 3 rooms away. Highly recommended.
mcrossley
Grafter

Got to agree the TG582n is pretty useless as a WiFi device, I'm getting a stronger signal from my neighbours BT router across the road and 2 rooms away than from the Technicolor 1.5 rooms away (current connection speed fluctuating between 19.5 and 26 Mbps on signal of -68 dBm)  Sad Basically I have to put the laptop on the desk near the TG582 to get a full speed connection. My previous two ADSL routers (both Netgear) gave much stronger reception, and the dual band 5GHz model meant I could also use a completely clear spectrum - not another WiFi device to be seen in my neighbourhood according to inSSIDer.
Don't get me started on the GUI interface - but we shouldn't have to resort to the busybox command line to get it working how we want.
PS: Other than the router I am really happy with the Plusnet service and support so far - Top notch, well done fellas (and presumably gals, though I have yet to come across one  ::))
smartyKD
Dabbler

Quote from: tijara33
I've returned 2 of the Technicolor so called fibre routers. I'm now using  a TP Link WR1043ND. It's much faster & there is no speed loss wirelessly 3 rooms away. Highly recommended.

Cheers.
I've got a replacement coming my way, but I won't use it - I've ordered a BT home hub 3 off ebay, and see if that does the job. I'll keep the TP Link one in mind.. I've got a TP link Gigabit switch, I've been happy with their devices in the past.
Pagmalupitan
Dabbler

The TG582 is junk, seriously anyone who knows anything about electronics just open it up and take a look, there is no aerial  Grin not even a loop of wire inside! How can the wireless possibly be any good with just a 3ish inch track on the pcb acting as an aerial Huh
I can't believe someone said this thing is "significantly better" than a DGN2200, seriously I nearly fell off my chair and my ribs are still hurting  Cheesy
There's probably bluetooth devices out there with better range than these things  Grin Grin Grin
New customers, do yourselves a favour, there's much better uses for that fiver p&p  Tongue
CliffTopp
Dabbler

Quote from: Pagmalupitan
How can the wireless possibly be any good with just a 3ish inch track on the pcb acting as an aerial Huh

Dunno but it provides the same signal strength as my netgear dg834v3 from ground level to top floor in my 3 storey house.  It isn't the fastest router I have but it is extremely stable on fault ridden bt infrastructure making it a welcome alternative to my faster but inclined to instability bipac billion 5200g.  It also doesn't lock me out every couple of days like my thompson 585 does because I prefer to use my own personal settings rather than the factory standard ones.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess  Tongue
As far as the OPs grievance over the 585 goes, after 2 or maybe 3 replacements, all of which crashed with alternative settings, I just gave up and refused to let plus.net send out any more  Sad
The routers supplied by plus.net are a basic minimum really.  Good enough to allow customers to access the service out-of-the-box but not much more really.  Neither do they need to be, in all honesty.  And, still in all honesty, whatever make/model they provide, there will always be someone who isn't satisfied.  If you think that there is a better option out there for you (whoever you are) then by all means go out there and buy it - just don't expect me to agree to a price hike on my service so that your ISP will provide it to you for the price of a postage stamp!!
Pagmalupitan
Dabbler

Quote from: CliffTopp
... but it is extremely stable on fault ridden bt infrastructure making it a welcome alternative to my faster but inclined to instability bipac billion 5200g.

To be fair the modem side did seem rock solid  Grin
It's a shame there's no official (via the gui) way to enable a bridge/modem-only type mode. I did get it working in some sort of modem-only mode via telnet commands (there's a few brief instructions around the forum) in conjunction with an old cable router I have laying around. So that's an option open to people suffering poor wireless  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst I do not wish to dispute the problems that people are having with wireless connections I do feel I should point out that a printed track antenna is a perfectly valid way of transmitting signals at the microwave frequencies that wi-fi operates at. This isn't just any old length and width of track, it is carefully calculated for the frequency of operation.
The disadvantage is that the antenna is horizontal and there are likely to be directional effects. I did see someone else posting about rotating the modem/router and getting an improved signal. Although that can work, personally I don't thing that is ideal.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As far as setting up more complex requirements there is a CLI guide which can be downloaded from a couple of places that your favourite search engine can find! But this is one
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just out of interest, but doesn't AAISP still use the TG582n?
What's the orientation of the 'antenna' track on the PCB?  If the router is positioned so that this is vertical does the wi-fi improve?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
What's the orientation of the 'antenna' track on the PCB?  If the router is positioned so that this is vertical does the wi-fi improve?

I tried standing mine on its side, the connection speed upstairs still fluctuated constantly.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
Pagmalupitan
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
...I do feel I should point out that a printed track antenna is a perfectly valid way of transmitting signals at the microwave frequencies that wi-fi operates at. This isn't just any old length and width of track, it is carefully calculated for the frequency of operation.

That may well be true and unavoidable in certain devices (phones etc.) but it's a router! Why not just add an external aerial or two (or three) like other manufacturers???
Just cost cutting at it's worst Sad
Maybe someone could try adding an external aerial(s), there are two SMD aerial connectors on the board (i don't know the type - the same as those found on latop wifi cards etc.) just waiting to have something plugged in to them  Cry