cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

These routers are not worth the P+P let alone £40!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: These routers are not worth the P+P let alone £40!

Quote from: 8grosvenor
Just to go back to a point I made that somehow a 5-6 year old router that we are using (nothing special) provides a better connection than your new N router.

Is that using the same channel?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8grosvenor

Quote from: jelv
Just to go back to a point I made that somehow a 5-6 year old router that we are using (nothing special) provides a better connection than your new N router.

Is that using the same channel?

Just downloaded  inSSIDer.
The D-LINK is using channel 6 (same as our neighbours) and the technicolor uses 11, I'll try and change that and see if it helps... Interestingly next door's router is a NETGEAR and the link speed is 144mbps.... just shows the difference compared to the 13 for technicolor..... I'll still try the channel on the off-chance but I highly doubt it would have such a dramatic effect!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

but I highly doubt it would have such a dramatic effect!

Stranger things have happened - it wouldn't surprise me!
8grosvenor

- took ages in router settings to find the option because of poor layout and slow loading pages
- changed to channel 6, took about 3 minutes to apply before internet came up
- still had basically no signal
- switched back to channel 11 and the router crashed, had to turn off at plug after nothing after 5 minutes
- still couldn't detect router after 3 minutes of turning back on, reset it.
- took 2 minutes to become detectable and put settings back in after 5 more minutes still unable to get an internet connection up
- plugged in D-LINK, decent WIFI signal within 30 seconds, internet within 1 minute.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Another thing to try if you haven't already: disable N and try G only.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

When this post was started it was about a TG585 v7, however it now seems to be all about a TG582n which is a very different device. As I have said before I am completely happy with my TG585 v8. It does take rather a long time to re-boot and sometimes takes a few seconds to change between set-up screens but is easy to set up and very stable. It also has an excellent log, a facility that is completely missing from many others.
It seems to me that you could probably find people who have had problems with almost any make and model of router. I have a current model D-Link that is almost impossible to set up properly, with changes between set-up screens taking so long that you need to re-connect to the router. It also has a poor wireless performance using a built in aerial. There is also a known problem with some current Netgear routers that has not been resolved that causes some VOIP systems that need port forwarding to garble audio in one direction. A new TP-Link router I have has the most complicated set-up menu I have even encountered - I gave up!
To sum up, I feel sorry for any ISP trying to keep everybody happy - it would be interesting to hear what current make and model people suggest Plusnet should supply and then check out the many forums and see what others think about their preferred device!
seanebaby

I've had lots of problems with the new router's wireless signal strength, and have raised a ticket with support.  Perhaps this goes without saying, but surely it would help everyone if you raised a ticket (if you haven't already) if you're having problems.  I sometimes wonder if people complain on forums rather than going through 'official' channels...
Plusnet is sending me a new router just in-case I have a faulty one, but I highly doubt it is faulty.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Gareth6
It's a shame the complaints manager doesn't see an issue here. I've used just about every brand of router, and the TG582n is by far the worst. Both in interface (having to go 6 levels deep just to set up dhcp is ridiculous) and wifi strength is very poor (literally need line of sight and not sufficient for an average size house).

Thought I'd jump in here and share my experiences given that I've just had to swap out my Netgear WNR1000 for the 582n. I live in a 3 storey house and my router is positioned in the lower corner of the ground floor. I'm able to receive a healthy wireless signal using the 582n no matter where I am in the house. It's comparable with the WNR1000 that I was using (and the Zyxel P2812 prior to that) and whilst I admit the interface is a tad clumsy, I didn't have any issues changing the admin login details, enabling ICMP responses and configuring my port forwarding (I've about ten ports forwarded). My Galaxy S2 runs at ~25Mbps, and I'm pretty sure that's the case even when I'm in the bathroom on the second floor.
I'd guess there's other factors at play here if your experiences are so much worse than mine? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

taras
Grafter

I actually got my tg582n via ebay (several reasons why i did that - one of which was the usb port) . Anyhoo  i do agree the interface on the TGs is a bit sub par as you have to click on details on the left hand side and the 10.x firmware has an annoying time out issue.
The reason plusnet have the tg582n is due to the ability of it coping with ipv6. Many of the issues that some are having are variable to environment issues and firmware issues.  Some may need an extra wireless point some may not.
scotchwhisky
Grafter

It's amazing that anyone who has a problem tends to label an item as rubbish.
I have the TG582n and have no complaints whatsoever.  I also have a Netgear DGN2200 which is very poor in all respects (including wifi) in comparison.
In my opinion the TG582n is the best thing since sliced bread!  It is most certainly worth the £5 P+P I paid for it.
I connect at 24256 kbps on the TG582n and only 22326 kbps on the DGN2200.
On wifi a can use my Internet radio throughout the house and garden. With the DGN2200 I have lots of dead spots.
I've never had to reboot the TG582n. The DGN2200 never lasted more than 1 or 2 days.
The interface is I bit limiting on the TG582n but you can telnet into it something you can't do on the DGN2200 without using custom software.
My point is:-  Don't rubbish a product just because "you" are having problems with it!  I'm not saying the DGN2200 is rubbish just that in my case the TG582n is significantly better.
taras
Grafter

Quote from: scotchwhisky
It's amazing that anyone who has a problem tends to label an item as rubbish.
My point is:-  Don't rubbish a product just because "you" are having problems with it!  I'm not saying the DGN2200 is rubbish just that in my case the TG582n is significantly better.

I totally agree, many tend to writing off devices because they have problems using it. I'm not saying the posters have or if its their router, but just bashing a product because somebody else is, is wrong!
staking
Dabbler

got to agree, the router/modem supplied is awful, lucky i had my bt home hub, fired in my plus net details, and works perfect
found the supplied netgear was terrible for wiif, kept dropping out, and the signal strength isnt as good as the bt home hub.
taras
Grafter

staking you do know who have made some of the home hubs don't you Tongue
mattb26
Dabbler

Just my 2 pence.
Had the Thomson router for some time 3yrs plus. Had no problems with is. Used in different homes I've lived in. Decided to upgrade to the Technicolor N router PN now supply. Had very weak signal from the off. But worse it would drop the wifi signal all together.  Angry
PN did send a replacement, but this arrived only 24hrs before my new shiny netgear. So for those 24hrs it did work.
The netgear. Super signal, not skipped a beat since plugging it it.
It does seem that the technicolor is a bit below par.
andy265
Grafter

I joined a few weeks ago and like others found the wireless on the TG582n was really slow. The router is downstairs and my laptop is normally upstairs diagonally across the house.
With the HomeHub3 I have from my old BT connection I get a 78Mbps connection to the router. With the Technicolor the wireless connects at 5.5Mbps and is so slow it's unusable. This is on the same wireless channel (checked clear with inSSIDer) and with the routers and laptop in the same place.
I've gone back to using the homehub so I have a usable connection.