cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are Four Lights

BryanJ
Hooked

There are Four Lights

Hi, hoping someone can help me as my router an old Thompson 585 is currently down. I have red light beside the power button and the no lights on besides the Internet, Broadband, Wireless and Ethernet indicators. Just wondering if anyone can help me sort out what the issue is and what I can do to resolve it and get it all back up and running again.

Thanks in advance to anyone who sees and replies to this.

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: There are Four Lights

Welcome to the forums, @BryanJ 

First thing to check - is your phone line OK - dial 17070 and select option 2 - there should be no audible noise.

If that is OK, try turning the router off for a few minutes and then turn it back on, see what, if anything happens.

Further thought, due to the recent weather, any thunderstorms, flooding, around you?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

See here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/169131/Thomson-Tg585-V8.html?page=21 - section 2.1.1 - looks like the router has expired!

Power on, self-test failed, indicating device malfunction

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Townman - my comments/suggestions were based on the guides for the 582.Smiley

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Doh!!

Thanks John, I googled 582n - I did not notice that Google gave me the 585 manual!

This says something similar https://support.gradwell.com/hc/en-gb/articles/215548963-Understanding-the-lights-on-your-ADSL-route... - but also suggests a reboot!

See section 1.2.5 here https://setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tg582n/manual-1248.pdf

If this does not restart after a few power cycles, you might want to consider doing a factory reset before putting it in the recycle bin!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Kevin, the OP does have a TG585, but I thought the 582 was effectively the same, re-engineered to include the n-protocol - correct me if I am wrong.Smiley

If so, I'm still wondering if the weather has anything to do with it?

I am also going on the fact that when BT/OR were sorting my last problem, I was left with a red power light (only) while they were doing the tie-pair swaps and the lift-and-shift.

John
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @BryanJ

@Townman is absolutely on the money here - the red power light does unfortunately almost always mean a hardware failure.

If factory resetting the unit doesn't help, it is likely that a replacement will be required, either via a recontract with ourselves (if you're current eligible) or via 3rd party means.

Sorry to be the bearer (or confirmer?) of bad news - please let me know if you'd like me to arrange for someone to contact you regarding recontracting options etc.

Best wishes

Dave

BryanJ
Hooked

Hi Randall, yes think I would like someone to contact me about this.

I think now having tried the things suggested here and what I found searching on the plusnet website before finally trying the reset button I believe my router is almost certainly dead.

I assume I'm still under contract with you as I was getting internet through the router until Tuesday night when it went down, so I'd like to know how quickly I can get a new one and what it will cost.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To be honest you might be better off buying your own. ISP supplies routers are generally sufficient to do the job but not particularly excelling.

IMHO those TG routers were far superior to the Hub Zeros PlusNET now supplies for ADSL users. The Hub 1 router supplied for fibre users is a rebadged BTHH5 which is also not the best of the BT range.

A previously loved BTHH6 can be bought on eBay for the price of a round of drinks. There’s a lot of guidance on the router forum on setting these up for use with Plusnet.

Other than that there’s a massive range available on Amazon and from the high street. You do not have to use a PlusNET supplied router.

BryanJ
Hooked

I did not know that as I've had the same router since I joined. I will look at the forums and check out Amazon and other places for a new one.
Thanks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Bryan.

If we order a router out today you should receive it within 3-5 working days however realistically as they're sent via 1st class post, the majority of our routers land within 2 working days although officially the lead time is 3-5 working days.

The router will be free of charge bar £6.99 postage on a new contract and it'll be a Hub Zero. If you don't want to recontract with us then we'd charge £40 plus £6.99 postage to order a new one, or you can look at buying a 3rd party one.

Feel free to send me a PM with the best contact number to get you on and a rough time when you'll be free.

I'll then pass this request onto our customer options team for someone to call you back as soon as they can however I can't guarantee the call will be tonight. If you're wanting to speak to us urgently it may be worth calling 0800 013 2632.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet