cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The worst broadband speed ever !. Wish I had never moved to plusnet

sapbloke

The worst broadband speed ever !. Wish I had never moved to plusnet

I moved to plusnet from orange.  Orange internet used to regularly drop out (once maybe twice a week) and I was fed up with calling the Indians only to go through the same script.  I was told plusnet were better - so i moved my broadband.  What a mistake.
Day 1 and in goes the technicolour router.  10 minutes later and I have smoke - the thing is melting.
So in goes my good old BT homehub from a few years back.. and plusnet customer support give me the settings - excellent service.
15Mb connection rates - excellent.  Orange gave me 6mb for the last few years so vast improvement.
Day 2 and a new technicolor router arrives .. excellent delivery service.
In goes the new router and broadband reports 15Mb still.  Excellent
Day 3 - oh dear.  < 1Mb on the connection.  I stream TV ; Music etc and depend on this for work.
Day 4 and its at 2.5Mb.. so i call plusnet support.
Plusnet report that my IP profile is 2.7Mb on BT wholesale so they will get that increased.. will take a few days
Day 7 - still at 2.5Mb and its causing a problem. 
ring plusnet support who note that the plusnet profile is down at 2.5Mb so it gets immediate lifted to 18Mb.
tech support come on line and tell me i have noise. I had done the 17070 test with nothing i can hear.  very strange.
I live 150yds from the exchange.. i can see it - i can hit it with a stone if i wanted too.. im not too far away.
Im also plugged direct to master socket.. into the test socket.
what i cant grasp is for the last few years i been getting 5 - 6Mb connection... so why with my new plusnet link is it slow flamin slow ?
here are my current stats :  - do i have a problem here ??????  are my margins set too high ? 
Uptime: 0 days, 0:34:05
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 3.071
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 758,59 / 1,23
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10,1 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 1,4 / 6,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32,2 / 29,2
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 36 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 58 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
7 REPLIES 7
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: The worst broadband speed ever !. Wish I had never moved to plusnet

Margins look high (mine used to be around 6db)  but the signal loss errors are a problem.
Thats probably why your speed is so low, everytime you get a disconnect it will alter your profile to try and get a stable connection. Have you reset the router 5 times in 30 minutes or has it been doing it on its own?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

All I can suppose is that your line has been banded - but I have no idea why - looks like a retrain is required
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/dynamic-line-management-dlm-on-adsl2/
You should also ask for your upstream to be uncapped at the same time
steveuk
Grafter

Just like to add that although you don't hear noise on the line it does not mean its not there.
Had simler problem years ago when i first joined o2, Sometimes there was noise on the line and other times it was fine for weeks or months.
My net would be fine then the noise would show up and the net would die and speeds were poor.
It turned out that water was getting into the line due to an old rotted cable that was about 50 years old, BT replaced this and all was fine untill the problem came back but this time water was getting into one of the cables neer the green box so that got fixed and all has been fine for about 5/6 years
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear about these issues.
Day 1 and in goes the technicolour router.  10 minutes later and I have smoke - the thing is melting.

I'm particularly concerned about that, I'd like to arrange a courier to pick that up and get it straight back here so we can take a look at it and run some tests.
I'll take a look at your fault ticket shortly and I'll make sure we respond as soon as we can.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
tstaddon
Rising Star

The only time I've seen an issue like that was due to problems with the mains socket - I had one in the old house which was fine with anything like a kettle plugged in but anything that required a stable connection would trip out. If there's a dry connection or a short, it could create surges (or cause the power to drop suddenly).
Might sound like a dumb suggestion but if there are two mains sockets next to each other, swap the router over to the other socket.
sapbloke

Big thanks to plus net. Engineer came out but couldn't find a fault. He replaced the  external cable connection to my house and removed an old ISDN  junction that was under the eaves.  Even before he did this he stated his physical line tests were fine.  Upshot is a jump from 2mb to 18mb as BT ip profile manually amended.   Thanks again plus net for sorting this out
Original technicolor router sent back.  Cheesy
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Glad to see that's sorted for you.
If there's anything else give us a nudge.
Chris