cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The latest newsletter...

kevanf1

The latest newsletter...

Why is the latest newsletter positively gushing over the announcement by Microsoft to 'force' Windows users to upgrade to IE 7?  Surely there ought to be an outcry at the latest forcing of the customer base to do something?  I am so glad I don't use IE (though it seems I'll have to when it comes to upgrading this single Windows PC.
Use Firefox I say.  I have since it first came out (it meant ditching my beloved Netscape) and absolutely hate with a passion Internet Explorer.  Firefox is the bees knees and just has so much more going for it.  Why on earth would people wnat to shackle themselves with IE  Huh
May I make a request too?  Please let's see some coverage of Linux.  How about a mention of the fact that there are yet more operating systems out there?  The various flavours of BSD, MikeOS, Syllable dare I mention Plan 9  Grin  hey, it's still a valid OS.  Computing absolutely does not equal Microsoft!!!
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: The latest newsletter...

already has a thread
Re: Issue 15 of Plus - The PlusNet Newsletter - a move away from open standards
in community support
kevanf1

Ah, I do apologise for that.  I did look but itme is short and I didn't spot anything.
Perhaps the mod's could transfer this post to the correct thread?
vectrian

Temp thread

I don't understand technical details but I know what happens. When IE7 was offered as a download on my XP system I accepted it. As an ignorant silver surfer I thought it would be an improvement on IE6. About 3 days later Computing Which? dropped through the letterbox advising folk to hold fire on IE7 because of "issues".  How right they were! I availed myself of their free advice service - very, very good it is too - and as a result switched to Firefox. IE7 is still loaded but never used as Firefox has given me a far better internet experience than IE ever did. I can only speak as I find but some of my friends and neighbours have thanked me for alerting them to Firefox.  You must make your own mind up.
cp:green Post moved here from this thread "Re: Issue 15 of Plus - PlusNet Newsletter - a move away from open standards" as I believe the OP intended to post in this thread. mod:end
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Watt is the easiest OS to yous on a laptop?
It must be easy to yous I am Dyslexic, so it must be easy to yous.  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Moderators Note.
A this is not a "Community Site Suggestions" I have moved it to the "Community Support" board. But I am not going to merge the topics, as the "Re: Issue 15 of Plus - The PlusNet Newsletter - a move away from open standards" has drifted, and merged topic always feel a bit disjointed.
Jonathan
aka Chilly
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: kevanf1
Computing absolutely does not equal Microsoft!!!

If that was aimed at PlusNet then you are preaching to the converted, if my memory servers me correct the only service that PlusNet offer that runs on Micro$oft is Fax-to-Email, and I know that they would prefer that to be on a Unix platform. Also they allow staff to use the operating system of their choice, so have a mix of MS, Mac and Linux.
Chilly
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

IE7 has other known issues, and early adopters like me did report, but still no fix.

• No print preview button; it's hidden under another

• Problematical e mail printing:
    ie my signature block has jpg in; always prints out with empty box & red x in Outlook email.
    As IE7 controls the email printing, this causes some e mails
    to be shrunken to 2" square block top left off page and illegible, because of the proportional printing feature
    Many e mails when printed miss out the [font=Verdana]header data[/font], making them useless as file copies.
    The fix is to forward to someone else, & then print.
    Microscruff have known about this for ages, and lots of posts on web, where companies have had issues after introducing IE7 onto users.
    Our IT dept has now banned it's further use because of this; even if you remove IE7, the problems above will still remain Cry

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Undecided What happens if you have an unsupported Win 98 Laptop, I have fieefox, but some people go off standard and write Bill Gates only web sites that cant read - he should be made to stick to Internet Standards  Huh Roll_eyes Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are there any instances where you have to code differently for say Firefox and Opera?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I also have an Achos 705 Media centre, this comes with Opera browser, using its inbuilt I can look at web sites and Web mail, now what.
Also how about various Mac users?