cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The connection has timed out

msx361
Dabbler

The connection has timed out

Been getting this error for days now on all my connected devices (pc/mac/laptop). Sometimes the page half loads and then gives up.
Doing a line test reveals no errors and doing a speed test while the page is 'loading' shows nothing abnormal.
Ive tried flushing my DNS in CMD, made no difference. I have the same problem in FF, IE and Chrome.
Ive tried turning off my AV made no difference. Ive reset my router and modem and that has made no difference.
Im getting messages like this in the TG582n event logger.
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 1): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 36.xxx.xxx.xx Dst ip: 91.xxx.xxx.xx Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
But apparently this is normal.
Its getting really annoying now. There is no point paying for a fast connection if the pages still take 5-10 minutes to load, if at all.
I know im not the only person with this problem as i have commented in two other threads about it, but there has been no response on how to fix from PN in either thread. Im not very savvy with internet workings so would really appreciate it if PN could chime in.
HALP  Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: The connection has timed out

Hi there,
I've run some diagnostic checks which don't show me any obvious problems so I'm going to advise ruling out the router as the nest step.
There's a guide here (which is hopefully appropriate for you) to show you how to connect via ethernet directly to the Openreach modem:
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Please give this a try and let us know if you notice any difference.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
msx361
Dabbler

Thanks Il give this a go after work tonight.
msx361
Dabbler

Well after using the internet for about an hour before i tried what you asked me to do i was having lengthy waiting times on a few sites. Not all of them i tried but a few just came back with the old 'The connection has timed out' issue.
Since switch to the modem directly i havent had any issues for the last 20mins or so, including the sites i visited that were timing out. They still arent loading as fast as you would expect concidering the 72Mb im getting, but at least they are loading now.
Edit: Switch back to using the router and the time out messages are back.
I think its safe to assume its the router. What can i do to sort this out as its only just started happening resently and im pretty sure i havent changed any settings.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi msx361,
I've sent you a PM.