Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Top 8 Fastest National Home Broadband ISPs for June 2014

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Top 8 Fastest National Home Broadband ISPs for June 2014

Plusnet comes out well...

Top 8 Big UK ISPs – Average Download Speed (Megabits per second)

1. Virgin Media – 52.98Mbps
2. BT – 25.27Mbps
3. Zen Internet – 21.67Mbps
4. PlusNet – 20.83Mbps

Top 8 Big UK ISPs – Average Upload Speed

1. BT – 7.51Mbps
2. Zen Internet – 6.80Mbps
3. PlusNet – 6.21Mbps

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/07/fastest-8-biggest-uk-home-broadband-isps-june-2014.html
Not too far off my normal 19mb/s Copper Download Speed, bit slower tonight.
But then, I am also downloading using iPlayer at the same time !
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: The Top 8 Fastest National Home Broadband ISPs for June 2014

What a load of pointless data - it's not as if an ISP's average speed is going to change the speed your line is capable of. Might as well draw graphs of who runs the most speedtests.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Not all ISPs offer fibre optic broadband.  Not all those that do offer the same top speed or the same ratio of downstream to upstream speeds.  Nor do they all have the same uptake from amongst their customers.   
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PlusComUK

Not too far off my normal 19mb/s Copper Download Speed, bit slower tonight.
But then, I am also downloading using iPlayer at the same time !

A bit faster this morning, no downloads..
TORPC
Grafter

I don't know why they keep saying  "Your line is only capable of 6Mbps" take my line for a a perfect example
All the checkers state my line is capable of 6Mbps
ISP's state it is capable of 6Mbps
The actual facts are & has been witnessed by BTOpenreach that my line is capable of over 10Mbps, sometimes reaching over 11Mbps

Yet there is allegedly nothing wrong, I was getting over 9Mbps for a short spell with PN now it wont even reach 8Mbps

also see screenshot here for consistancy
It is capable of more, & has been proven on both here & previous ISP's forum
Where it has been clearly stated that, I should be grateful as I am getting more speed than I should
2. Why was i supplied a line that supports a max of 8mb speeds instead of up to 24 mb from a fresh new instalation.
The maximum 'possible' speed for ADSL is 'up to 24 Mbps, but the actual speed achieved is dependent on the length of your line, you say you have an attenuation of 53 dB this gives a theoretical maximum speed of 4.5 Mbps or so, you are getting way more than that so are doing well for speed

What it all boils down to is
The
1. ISP's, Software / hardware management, LLU or IPStream / DLM etc
2. Infrastructure, quality / condition / congestion etc
3. End user equipment, Router / Extensions etc
4. R.E.I.N, Interference on your connection
Before the several (Possible faults (Mostly reported back as earth faults)) were repaired on my line, I could only get  2 - 4Mb speeds
Therefore
Conclusion
Lines are actually capable of better speeds / when they are repaired / optimised
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Plusnet Download Broadband Speed is fairly consistent, as reported by SamKnows
Just the odd glitch, too short to show on the graph.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Speed on FTTC is always spot on, no problem here with Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: ejs
What a load of pointless data - it's not as if an ISP's average speed is going to change the speed your line is capable of.

+1
These stats are total tosh and delude gullible people into thinking that changing ISPs is going to alter their SYNCH speed experience.  If two ISPs use the same infrastructure you are going to see the same or very similar speeds.  The only difference one ISP might have over another is their willingness to batter BTOR into doing better.
Aside from Virgin Media you will always be stuck with BTOR's local 'copper' access network.  Unless you use a LLU provider, then all ISPs will be using the same BTOR 20CN or 21CN services and their related DLM.  Raw synch speed is governed solely by the exchange to premises infrastructure and environment (rein sources).  Solely in the situation were BTOR only provide a 20CN service on an exchange where there is also a LLU provider will the choice of ISP have a meaningful influence on SYNCH speed.
Usable DATA speed might be impacted by a particular ISPs pipes, traffic management / profiling etc, but that is not what these stats are reporting.  At best they are completely useless, at worse they are dangerously misleading in that they set expectations which (unless there Is a fault which the existing ISP has not adequately progressed and the new one will try harder) will not be fulfilled.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.