cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Great Conspiracy Theorist....

Ado16
Grafter

Re: The Great Conspiracy Theorist....

In the main - I keep my iTunes Synch "Via Computer" only, rather than synching over the air.  I don't really need that level of connectivity. I've double checked what is synching and most of it is via direct connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jelv
For Windows PCs I suggest you install http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ to monitor usage (free download at the bottom the page).

Have you done this? It's usage report has a tab to show you how much is used per application.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ado16
Grafter

Ironically - I'll check these out after midnight - when it won't - ha ha! - affect my data!  Undecided
Edit: Seems like I have used Anti-Malware before - it tells me my "Free Trial" has expired!
picbits
Rising Star

Uninstall Malwarebytes then reinstall the free version.
By default it tries to install the pro (or similar) version which has enhanced functionality for a while then expires. Make sure you tick the right box when installing Smiley
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Not sure that you have to uninstall after trial of Premium -I didn't when the trial period expired recently on my wife's XP netbook -just cancelled a few nagging messages and carried on using free version.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: jelv
There's a well documented issue with iTunes gobbling huge amounts of data usage after a recent update. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/23710128
Unchecking Internet Explorer bookmark syncing in iCloud may solve your issue.

Having a suitable Software Firewall that controls the Outgoing can also be beneficial BUT you need to understand how to use it and customise it.
Ado16
Grafter

*Shuffles in*
*Mumbles incoherently*
*Looks down at feet*  Embarrassed Huh
I think I might have found it.
Going through Task Manager later on and looking at "Processes" I saw a programme operating that shouldn't have been.
I suspect that when I updated it last it pinned itself to the "Run at Start up" - so did so when we switched on yesterday - unbeknownst to all.
Always check the label folks!
Thanks for the suggestions - Networx is useful!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Glad you've got to the bottom of it. Always worth checking what runs at start up, as well as what is running after booting has finished and it's supposedly idle.
picbits
Rising Star

You're not the first and you won't be the last.
Don't forget to eat humble pie to your wife for accusing her "non Apple product" ......  Grin
Care to share what the offending program was (just for future reference) - don't worry if it is something you'd rather not share  Grin
Hopefully that will be the end of your issues Smiley
Ado16
Grafter

Crikey! Can't remember now. 
Turns out to be academic - as we all seem to be using more data now anyway.  Tried to keep a lid on it, but generally it's just a sign of the times.