Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Future of Metronet

tstaddon
Rising Star

The Future of Metronet

Hi,
Edited
I bet I'm not the only Metronetter who's observed that the PN Option 2 is priced as a direct competitor for Metronet PAYG Option 2 - but you do get significantly more bang for your buck. Even the naming of the packages draws the comparison, with MN coming off badly.
But it occurred to me that even two years ago, on another discussion forum, people were making a very similar point - and being advised by PN staff, to go for the package which offered better value, ie the PN package.
Metronet may well be surviving primarily because of its past glories (like the home-brewed proxy server!) and the reputation it garnered from the user base. And, rightly or wrongly, one could surmise that PN's intention is to make Metronet less attractive.
I would hate to see it reach the point where the spirit of Metronet is dead in all but name, and the name would be buried too, were it not for a dwindling bunch of loyal, sentimental geeks.
If this is so, then PN should hang their heads in shame. It's a terrible waste of a truly great brand, renowned for its excellent customer service, outstanding technical nous, initiative, and (dare I say it) irreverent charm.
PlusNet, personally I'd rather you gave Metronet the Old Yeller treatment, than watch it slowly die of neglect.
Puts on tweed jacket and flat cap, lights pipe, rummages for slippers and reminisces wistfully about The Good Old Days
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: The Future of Metronet

Perhaps one for the Open Day?
And yes, I have received your application of which you are more than welcome to attend. I'll reply in greater length tomorrow, but I'm far too tired to do your post justice right now.
Bedtime for me.
Not applicable

Any less tired this morning?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and here is me thinking Jameseh had got up early to respond  Sad
tstaddon
Rising Star

I think I'm just beginning to wake up - a shame seeing as it's nearly bedtime! Ah, well.
BTW James, I was just in a right mood yesterday so sorry if I was a bit snappy.
Fingers crossed I'll still be able to make the open day; I have had a few ideas as regards the future of Metronet... but on the off chance I can't make it, I thought I'd set a couple of them out.
1. Suppose Windows, Linux, and av/antivirus/antispyware updates could all be sourced via the proxy, AND updates sourced in this manner were significantly discounted in the monthly utilisation.... customers would have an incentive to make sure their PCs are kept secure and updated in the most efficient way possible, and PlusNet's traffic management would surely benefit from not having thousands of customers independently downloading the same files from random locations.
As we've already pointed out, Metronet's proxy server provision is almost unique. So why not develop products that use it to its full potential?
2. There is no shortage of ISPs or products to choose from if you're not technically literate. Most people probably do need a structured first line support process, especially if they're new to the game. PlusNet responds to that need.
There's a smorgasbord of products across the industry, which suit the needs of business customers.
I'm wondering if there's a sizeable chunk of consumers who know what chipset their router uses, have updated the firmware on their routers (if not replaced it!), have installed (and secured) a wireless network, installed a filtered faceplate to the NTE5, disconnected a bell capacitor, installed (and use) Linux, or work in IT.
And I'm not entirely convinced that there's a product suite - let alone a brand - which is tailored to suit their needs.
It wasn't that long ago, when ADSL in the UK was such a niche that you had to register with BT in order to get your exchange enabled.  Metronet probably got far more techies joining up in the early days of broadband, before it saw novices queuing up round the block to join the party. Maybe that's a constituency which Metronet could be targeted at.
'Night all.
Neil_A
Grafter

Quote from: tstaddon
PlusNet, personally I'd rather you gave Metronet the Old Yeller treatment, than watch it slowly die of neglect.

Old Yeller a new one on me Smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Yeller
tstaddon
Rising Star

I can't ask you to watch the film, you'll be blubbing into your keyboard.
But the Kids in the Hall reconstruction's close enough...

tstaddon
Rising Star

OK, given the news about the d/l BBYW Option 2's really sounding attractive to me, so now all I need to think about is:
1. Do I qualify for another router, and if I do is it worth having?
My Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is the testes canis for wireless (I live in a three storey house, and can get >70% signal in the attic with the router on the ground floor!), and it will be even more funky once I've stuck dd-wrt on it - but the 1 port ADSL router that arrived with it has all the build quality of a toy from a cereal box.
2. I thought I was on the 6 month discount, but my bank statement suggests otherwise. So can I migrate or not?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Yes, you can move to the PlusNet product, all you would need to do is sign up a PlusNet PAYG dial up account, and then raise a ticket on both accounts requesting the transfer.
We'd be unable to get this to go through before Tuesday now (as a BT Wholesale order is required) but we've got a fairly smooth process now TBH.
You would qualify for a router, it's currently a D-Link 2640B I believe. All you would need to pay is the postage and packing (if you left within a year you'd be asked to pay for the router).
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi Mand,

Thanks for the update. The PN case is 24948788;  the Metronet case is 24933458.
The router looks OK but my primary concern is that I can use my Buffalo for the wireless network as I need the extra signal power.
As long as I bridge either the wireless/non-wireless freebies to the Airstation, and I can access the router Ui via a webpage (to check on the status for the DSL connection) I don't mind which one I get.
I'm using the Askey RTA1310 modem, which came with the Buffalo. It is a bit flakey and needs rebooting.
There is no administrative UI available to me if the RTA1310 is connected to the WAN port of the Airstation, so I have to connect it directly to the PC if I need to run any diags, check on the SNR/attenuation stats, connection speed etc.