cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.

andreas1999
Grafter

The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.

Why do I keep getting this every once in a while? Up until today it used to block all access to websites until we restarted the router, but today I got a new interesting variation of this problem. I can access any page, except youtube. Any page with an embedded youtube video get the BT Wholesale page inserted instead.
http://62.6.38.125/index.html
Should I be worried about plus.net restricting certain websites and not others?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.

Do you use wi-fi to connect to your router ?
I've had very occasional similar messages when my iMac has locked onto a nearby BT HomeHub Openzone wi-fi signal.

Wi-fi check is iStumbler on my iMac
I just re-select my router to stop this.
Here's a full list of Wi-fi near my country location, at this moment
Quite busy, as you can see...

SKY 35321 is a nearby property
Some may say, change my channel away from 1, the same as the BT user, but they are far enough away to not be a problem, and my nearest neighbour is on a different channel 6
At 17.53mb/s I am not going to change channels, you never know !
andreas1999
Grafter

That's very interesting. It is possible that my computer latched on to another router, but I would have to check next time it happens. I'm not sure how likely that is though. If I try and connect to any of the open BT networks in the area I get an error, and before I even manage to connect Windows warns me that I'm connecting to an unsecured network.
I also know that the BTWholesale page can appear when you're testing your plus.net connection using their connection troubleshooter.
After I got the youtube error I kept getting more and more BTWholesale pages until finally I had the entire internet blocked off and had to restart the router.
prichardson
Grafter

Checking your account, I can see we have not supplied you with a router. Can you confirm what make and model you have, and let us know if you have checked for the latest firmware (embeded software on the router) for the device?
I have a small suspicion, have you got a Netgear router?
I ask this as we suspect we have a possible cause, but being on DNS we have no way to prove it, but we have located and shown an issue that could impact other Netgear models.
andreas1999
Grafter

You're correct. It is in fact a Netgear router. It's the DG834Gv5 but it seems to have the latest firmware installed: 6.00.25.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

In that case you might want to set the DNS servers manually on the router. see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104794.msg893019.html for an explanation

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prichardson
Grafter

Hi andreas1999,
As per the reply from MisterW, it would suggest you are impacted by the same problem we are seeing on our WNR1000 router we supply to Fibre customers. This seems to be an integral problem with the way that Netgear handles DNS servers when it reconnects.
We had not seen any reports on DSL services until now and thought this was restricted to Ethernet models. Additionally, it seems the fibre model only see this when using PPPoE mode on the WAN port.
We have no way to gain conclusive proof that this is the same issue, as it is not possible to perform the needed packet captures like it is with a Ethernet router (as with DSL, the capture needs to be done against the RJ11 socket).
However, there may be a longer term solution for you depending on your settings. As above, we have seen this only in PPPoE mode, have you selected "PPPoE" mode in your basic settings page at all in the Netgear?
If so, switch this to PPPoA. We have no evidence that this will resolve it as it is the first report on a DSL modem/router, but if it is a bug in the PPPoE stack in the firmware, then not using that mode in theory could fix it.
Additionally, PPPoE mode on DSL is actually PPPoEoA, so performs additional encapsulation of data. Whilst not likely noticeable, there is a very minor performance loss from this method, so you might as well use PPPoA directly.
andreas1999
Grafter

Thanks for the very helpful replies! I'm very impressed.
It's already set to PPPoA but I'll change the DNS settings as soon as I can. Hopefully that will fix things and I'll never have to see the horrible BTWholesale page again.