cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 582n login page keeps popping up unexpectedly

waffley

The 582n login page keeps popping up unexpectedly

I was advised to start a new thread about this, so as in the title the first problem is that the 582n login page keeps opening randomly!!
Everything has been fine for the last 10 months since we joined plusnet, but yesterday this started to happen for random webpages, incuding plusnet itself!  At the moment it seems OK since the last router reboot, however when it happens it is on laptops, tablets (android and iPad), and phones too! Very frustrating!
Strangely we are also  having sound quality problems with our landline phones, distortion of voices being the main one. I wonder if the two problems are connected?
First of all, here are TG582n Full DSL Stats as advised:

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 18:37:12
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,276 / 15,587
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 94.83 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.1 / 22.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 9.3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 77 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 182 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 107,042
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 336 / 652
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 325 / 21,599

I have also run a BTW Performance Test as advised and here are the Stats:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
12.29 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.29 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 16.91 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
18 REPLIES 18
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: The 582n login page keeps popping up unexpectedly

Hi,
As advised on the previous thread, it sounds like you have browsing intercept configured.  With that setting, if the router has a problem reaching the requested resource, it redirect the request to the browser's login page.  I really do not see the point of that, but heyho!
If you have problems with the voice service, that MUST be resolved before any consideration of looking at a broadband fault.
If you do a quite line test - dial 17070 option 2 using a wired phone in the master socket with everything else disconnected - what do you hear?
If you do the same test with the router plugged in what do you hear?
If it is anything other than silence, you need to report this to you phone provider - do not mention broadband issues!  Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've run a line test for you on the phone, but all is coming back ok. I'd recommend you get this fixed though, after trying the basics (different handset and filter, in test socket etc). Once that's done, add the details on to your ticket and we'll get an engineer out.
I'm not convinced both issues are related, and your web browsing needs a little more investigation.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks Tony.
Obviously something has "upset" DLM at some point at the DS Target SNRM has been raised to 9dB by the looks of it. There's also 10 LOS's since the last time the 582n was powered off or rebooted whenever that was. Whilst current errors aren't off the scale, it would be better if they were lower.
Don't forget to do graceful disconnects if you are going to swap things around plug into the test socket etc. as previously mentioned here  Wink
waffley

Thank you very much Tony for your help.
I haven't been in much today, but when I have been online, I've had no more problems so far, since the router was rebooted late on yesterday afternoon.
However the voice distortion on phone calls is persisting. I can best describe it as the sort of breakdown you get if you turn the volume too high on speakers!
I will try new filter, handset, etc tomorrow. I'm afraid I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so can only do this when my joints will comply, which they won't tonight, as the socket is at floor level. So fingers crossed that tomorrow is a better day. If not I will have to await my husbands return on Thursday night/Friday Morning. Sorry about this and thank you again
waffley

I thought I would update this thread because it's been 10 days since I've reported the fault. Over the course of that time the line was tested twice my Plusnet, and found to be faulty, and on the 23rd they decided a BT engineer would need to come to the house, along with dire warnings of a £60 charge if said engineer could not gain access. The appointment was set for the afternoon of 25th Feb between 1pm and 6pm. So I duely waited in, no engineer, no explanation either by text, email, or phone! There was a 30 minute wait on Plusnet to speak to an operator, so I had to use the "Chat" facility which is hard for me, as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so typing in real time is not a quick process! I was told (eventually) that the Engineer had tested the line so didn't need to come to the house (remember it's already been tested twice), and only he knew he wouldn't need to come to the house. Considering we are talking about Plusnet and BT, two communication companies, there seems to be a great lack of that very thing! I should add that the problems with my phone and broadband were still not fixed.
I updated my question on the Help Assistant, but as yet have had no response.
Fast forward to this morning just after 11am. I am normally walking my dogs but today was waiting until the rain subsided. Opened the door to find a BT engineer! Had I been warned - certainly not! I guess if it hadn't been raining I would have been £60 out of pocket because he couldn't gain access!!
He determined that the fault was not on our property but in the road. He came back to tell me it was fixed, and I was slightly happier. I have been unable to test my landline for voice distortion, as none of my contacts are in, however, in the space of an hour, I have already had 3 internet drop outs.
After 10 days of this problem (it's actually been 2 weeks but only 10 days since I reported it!), I am feeling fed up and frustrated.
My message to Plusnet and BT is to communicate with each other, and more importantly, to your customers.
Anotherone
Champion

Try the Quiet Line Test, dial 17070 option 2.
waffley

I have now spoken to someone and the phone does sound better now. As for the internet, perhaps the dropouts are due to it settling down? I have had no response to the addendums I have made to the question raised 10 days ago. It had been closed until 6pm yesterday (presumably until after the BT engineers visit!), however it was re-opened at that point, and yet nothing from Plusnet, and I would like a response to my questions regarding the non show of the engineer and if they feel this, and a 10 day wait to solve the problem is considered acceptable.
Only time will tell what, if any, response I have!
Anotherone
Champion

You will get one, I'm not sure what ticket response times are like at the moment. I'm not sure the Customer Support Stats give a representative picture  Huh
Tony, who responded to the thread before, hasn't been in today.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: waffley
However the voice distortion on phone calls is persisting. I can best describe it as the sort of breakdown you get if you turn the volume too high on speakers!

Just noticed this. Interesting, that voice distortion on the phone line sounds exactly like I suffer from intermittently on my phone line.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi pvmb, are you still having problems with your line and broadband, what happens when you do the Quiet Line Test?
Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The problems with speech seem to only occur on incoming calls. But I don't originate calls on my landline. Quiet Line tests never seem to reveal anything.
On broadband over the last month or so I have seem a gradual reduction in speed. Nothing too dramatic, but whereas I used to expect almost 17Mbps with 6dB Noise Margin it has drifted downwards and in recent days dipped below 16Mbps. Currently it is 16,087kbps download with Noise Margin 6.4dB  Upload is currently 12227kbps with what looks like same NM.
FEC is 95132, but I have seen it much higher than that recently. I turn router on/off on a daily basis.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, turning the modem/router off is the reason for you varying speeds. When you switch on, if the generl noise background is higher (usually from just before sunset to after sunrise) then your sync speed will be lower. If you can pick up your previous thread and post TG582n Full DSL stats there, we can give some further advise.
waffley

Thank you "Anotherone". I will be a little more patient and wait for a response, but I am still unhappy with the level of customer service, with the very least I expect is an explanation and apology. Having said that, I haven't been online much today, but so far I haven't experienced a drop out. So maybe things are on the up!
Anotherone
Champion

If you post up your current TG582n Full DSL stats we can see how it's doing.