cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

That time again...

JamesM
Grafter

That time again...

Every 6 months I get a bee in my bonnet about my speed, this lasts for a week or so then I try and put it at the back of my mind. I have seen another user who has the same Attenuation as me yet he is getting 15 - 16 Mb download, while I am still struggling to get over 10Mb. I have resynced my router a few times over the last week and it just gets worse. My speed even reduced from 9.6 down to 9.0 with no disconnections, it just decided to drop for no reason. My sync has been just shy of 11000 yet my speed stays on 9.0. The last resync dropped my sync to 10500 and my speed stayed the same on 9.0. I am starting to think my line has been capped again, as it was capped once before by mistake.
I know this is just going round in circles but if everything points to my sync being over 14000 I am struggling to understand why it isnt.
78 REPLIES 78
essenby
Grafter

Re: That time again...

And you think YOU have problems

The phrase "small mercies" comes to mind  Grin
The key comment is "Slower than 83% of GB" - and this for someone less than 4 miles from the centre of one of the top 5 cities in the UK!
JamesM
Grafter

I do feel kind of embarrased wanting my speed to be higher when there are loads of people on less than me, but you will be trouncing me soon with your new deal essenby. The thing I can't understand is that my village used to be a coal mining village, since idiot thatcher closed them all (and sold off most of Britain) we are now the capital of call centres. Surely this must weigh heavilly on the case to get fibre to my area.
I went passed you kneck of the woods on Sunday going to see Jess Ennis' golden post box.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi  JamesM,
I have had a look at your speed tests and can see that your speeds have reduced. I have performed an SNR reset on your line as your profile has been reduced. This usually takes up-to 4 hours but can take up-to 24 hours.
Your line speed estimate is 10.5MB/s, even though another user may have the same attenuation, it also depends on the quality of your line to achieve maximum speeds.
Your speeds should pick back up-to 10.5MB/s, let me know how it goes.
Chris
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: JamesM
I have resynced my router a few times over the last week and it just gets worse. My speed even reduced from 9.6 down to 9.0 with no disconnections

You mean no disconnections other than the ones you did deliberately?  The danger of resyncing your router too often is that it gets misinterpreted as a line fault.   
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Chris I will check later on today after the 24 hours,
Reed, I try to leave at least 3 days before disconnecting each time as the DLM hates my line more than others for some reason, as far as I can tell I have had no unplanned disconnects for months, apart from the night before last where I had a PPP termination.
When the speed dropped I hadn't disconnected for 2 days, it was 9.6 D/L in the morning and when I checked that night it was 9.0 D/L, sync was the same @ 10900. At the moment I have a 11150 sync with a D/L speed of 8.8.
Just to add, I don't disconnect every 3 days, I can go for a month without feeling the urge to disconnect, it is just that every so often my gaming seems very slow and everybody gets the drop on me, that is when I disconnect, then my sync and my speed drops, then I start disconnecting evey three days to try and get it back up again.
DLM is useless IMO.
Edit
Just had a power cut with the storm and sync has dropped to 10700 and D/L speed still at 8.8.  Why does this have to be so frustrating, all I want is a speed that is equal to my attenuation of 29 and a speed that actually stays the same, instead of dropping. In the past I  have had a solid connection for months and one resync can drop my sync by 20 to 30 percent. It is absolutely NUTS.
JamesM
Grafter

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Possibly it created higher noise on your line when you had the storm. I've adjusted your profile again so your speeds will increase.
If possible please keep your router on as I would like to monitor your connection.
Chris
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Chris, not the best you having to work today mate.
I will keep my router on,
As far as I know It has been connected since the storm, I just performed a speed test and it has gone up to 9.2, so I gues it is heading in the right direction.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, I was going to take it off and go-to the seaside, but everone keeps talking about the storms so I thought I would be better staying inside. Grin
Let me know if your having any issue's, like I said I will monitor anyway.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: chrispurvey
Let me know if your having any issue's

Aaaaargh!!!! There is no apostrophe in issues!!!
Also, it should be you're, so that's where your apostrophe needed to go...
If I see "would of" again, I'm going to scream...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My mistake, it's been a long day.
I'll make sure that is the last time.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks.
JamesM
Grafter

Still dropping

Yesterday I moved my computer so I could hook it up to the TV which meant I had to unplug the router, then I got a couple of PPP terminations.
Jim
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll pick it up in the morning when I'm in the office Jim.