cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks Plusnet - Just One Question

MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

Thanks Plusnet - Just One Question

Over the last few weeks my BB has been a steady 65mb down and 14mb up which has been ok.  The download speed steadily dropped from 78mb when I joined in January to the 65 I was receiving from around mid April or early May.
Yesterday's BT performance test showed a throughput of 62mb and the ip profile was 65.52.  The PN profile was set at 65.
Today however, the ip profile from the BT Wholesale performance test shows 72.06 and the PN profile is 72 with a throughput of 68 (or so), so I'm a happy bunny.
I notice that maintenance of happening this week in my area code (01543) so could this be the reason for the speed boost?  I'd be interested to know if anyone has an answer to this please.  Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Thanks Plusnet - Just One Question

Hi there,
I can see that you had a fault last month that is now resolved and was the likely cause of your decline in speed.
It can also depend on when your modem resyncs, I can see the last two were in the the morning which can help improved sync speed. There's some more maintenance tonight that is an upgrade of the line cards at your exchange, the work from last night we don't have much information on I'm afraid apart from it was planned maintenance, it could have been preparation for tonight's work.

MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

Many thanks for the reply, it is interesting to note that BT are upgrading the line cards at my exchange this week.  Also, yes there was a fault with my Voicemail service last month which I'm glad to say is now working fine.  Today the ip profile is 71.xx a slight drop from yesterday so we'll see what happens after tonight.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your voicemail issue seems that it was due to the order not completing properly on our suppliers systems, so we had to place this again which resolved this issue for you.
I'd keep an eye on your connection, everything does seem ok though in my opinion.
MrTuningFork199
Dabbler

Hi chrispurvey
Your explanation of the Voicemail issues certainly does make sense and thanks for explaining this.  I will take your advice and keep an eye on the connection which according to the BTWholesale performance test gives me an ip profile of 71.31mb and a throughput of 67.xx.  Incidentally last night I got the same ip profile but the throughput was between 29 and 36mb and similar results recorded at speedtest.net, I tried a couple gateway hops then left everything alone as I figured that once the BT network maintenance was over then things would be ok today, which they are.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It may well have been due to the maintenance, again just monitor it and if anything does change let us know.