cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanks - Help With Upstream Issues

askelon

Thanks - Help With Upstream Issues

After spending the week monitoring my connection closely and with some tweaks here i'm at a loss what i can do next, can anyone help?
After a fault with the line earlier this year my upstream has never been right, varying from 64k-90k usually.
Before my line fault it was around the 388k mark.
I've moved my router, changed cables,  filters, faceplates, used test socket and have now decided to return to my netgear router and ADSL nation faceplate.
i've managed to return the downstream to the 800-900 mark but upstream is now varying between 64 and (when i'm lucky) 224
I have two sets of stats from seperate days here and hoping someone can tell me where i can go from here in regards to my upstream...
Day 1
             Bitrate      Att.        SNRM      TX PWR      
Down     896      63.5dB    3.8dB      15.7dB            
Up           64        31.5dB    6.0dB      12.0dB

Day 2 (today)
             Bitrate      Att.        SNRM      TX PWR
Down     896      63.5dB    4.5dB      15.8dB            
Up          224       31.5dB    6.0dB      12.3dB
I got these from DMT application which i've been using for monitoring this week
I also used MyBroadbandSpeed.co.uk today and got..
Down    467
Up          52
I tried Speedtester.BT.Com but that has failed numerous times
As far as i can see the problem stems from the transmit power, is there anything i can do about this?
I am currently using the Netgear DG834GT with DG Team firmware plugged into the ADSLnation faceplate
and the  SNR Percentage set at 55% using the firmare
Can anyone suggest where I can go from here, would I be able to get BT to 'turn up the volume' on my line?
I live a fair distance from the exchange and have a 'water track' telephone cable so i know it'll never be great
but history has shown that i can push it to a stable 1056 dwn and 388 up and am really not happy with my current
usual upstream of 64 Sad
Help would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Wayne
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Help With Upstream Issues

HI askelon,
With such long lines many customers have found using a different router (BT HH3 for instance) can produce much better results. It may also be worth looking at how your telephone system is wired up. Are you using the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
askelon

Hi Jojo
I understand the long line problem but the fact i've had far better speeds in the past is what makes me persue this.
Never looked at the HH3 but have used the Thomson ST585 as well with out much success.
There has been many compliments about the DG834 due to it's ability to hold sinc when SNR if very low and I have used
it reliably in the past to tweak my connection to a reliable over 1000kbs down and 400kbs up but something seems to be
holding back the upload increasing. All since the last fault i had.
I have used the test socket up until the arrival of the ADSLnation XTE-2005 faceplate.
also awaiting arrival of some other 'plus-in' filters to try and a Billion 2wire 2700 router.
The only device connected to the telephone line is the router, purely used for internet as my mobile provides free minutes that covers my calls.
Going to try my useless telephone provider once again and see if I can't get any sense.
Does anybody know if i can get the power tweaked up at all at the exchange from BT?
askelon

Just come off the fone to Sky, they very helpful (unusual for sky!) technician said sky can turn up the gain on a line for their broadband customer and suggesting asking plus.net if they could do the same?
Would this be a possbilitty as the deciding factor in my upload speed seems to be that once the txpower for the upstream dips bellow 12.4dBm my speed drops to  25%.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Turning up the gain on the line used to improve a poor dial-up connection, but is likely to have the opposite effect on ADSL.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi askelon,
Jaggies is right, It's not something that will improve your ADSL. I would also suggest not tweaking your connection, although you can get some good results, they will mostly be temporary and can lead to instability. I would certainly use the test socket though, even faceplates can inhibit your connection. I would certainly say to go for a good long line router (like the HH3) and put it straight into the test socket with no tweaking.
Jojo Smiley
askelon

Thanks Jojo and Jaggies,
I've ordered a billion 2wire 2700 anyway so gonna go for that, that has the best write ups that i have seen for long lines.
I've had no stability issues with small tweaks, my downstream has been at 800+ mark with tweaks for past 18months
and would not try to push it.
But this 64 upload is becoming a real issue, considering it's never been below 192 up until recently so it's something
that needs to be sorted. Online gaming is now not possible, and all other day to day browsing is annoyingly slow.
I'll get back after tryin the 2wire
askelon

Just a quick update,
After much trying a number or combinations of routers (between the DG834GT and ST585) I ended up with a
downstream of 512 and upstream of 64.
Got the 2wire 2700HGV this morning and got it setup. first connection was 960 down 128 up, success.
relocated router to where it's being kept and reconnected at 896 down and 128 up, I would still call that a success
Called plus.net who advised leaving it for 72hours an let the system settle down from my interuptions so
we'll see where we go from here. happier with 128 as at least send requests are not so slow now.
has made a big odds.
Thanks for the help to both Jojo and Jaggies.
Keep up the good work folks
Wayne
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thanks - Help With Upstream Issues

Thanks Wayne,
Glad to hear you are now getting better results.
Jojo Smiley