Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a broadband router

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Testing a broadband router

Is there any way to test a broadband router ?
I keep losing the broadband signal and have to re-boot the router.  I know that regular re-booting can of course reduce the broadband service speed, so I do not like to do it.
However, the router must be eight years old and it occurs to me that it may have passed its sell-by date.  It is a Linksys WAG 354.  So I do not want to blame the broadband service in case it is the router.  However, when it is up and running it is perfectly stable and works well. with a good strong signal.
So do router electronics deteriorate with age or is it the case that they either work or do not ?  Is there any way of provong whether the problem is the router or the broadband service ?
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Testing a broadband router

Yes, like all electronics they can 'wear out' as it were. Best way to test is either to take that router and test it on a known working line, or try another router on your own line to see if the same issue happens. If it happens on the other line, or changing the router stops it from happening, you've proved it's the fault of the hardware you were testing.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Testing a broadband router

Electronic parts like electrolytic capacitors can dry out over time causing failure, usually in the psu area.
But as Matt said easy way to test is to replace it with a new one, if the new one doesn't fail then it was a problem other wise the problem lies on the line.