Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing From The Master Socket

JohnofYork
Grafter

Testing From The Master Socket

So I've discovered that:

a) the Openreach modem is hung on 2 screws in the wall, so can be re-located downstairs to next to the master socket

b) I need an RJ11 <-> BT 431 plug cable, in order to connect the DSL port on the OR modem to the test port within the Master Socket 5c Mark 4 socket.

c) and it makes no difference to the speed I get ...

9 REPLIES 9
JohnofYork
Grafter

Re: Testing From The Master Socket

I was directed to these Testing guidelines but cannot understand quite how it relates to a Fibre connection.

The master socket is downstairs, the OpenReach fibre modem is upstairs with my Asus router and PC.

What am I supposed to connect to the master socket in order to run the test?

Puzzled of York

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Posts have been split from a Library post and a topic created. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@JohnofYork 

If you take the face plate off the Master Socket behing it you'll find what is known as the "Test" socket - the face plate plugs into this.

When testing you use the "test" socket to bypass all internal extension wiring so that any potential problems caused by the said internal wiring can be "proved" or "eliminated" from any troubleshooting being done.

Brian

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No, you need a plug-in broadband filter, which should have been supplied with your installation.

When used just for testing, with no phone, it does the same thing as an adapter cable as the broadband side is unfiltered.

A lot of such cables are actually for old-school dial-up modems and may not even use the same pins, a filter is the way to go.

As noted above, you take the faceplate off the master socket to expose the test socket and connect the filter to that. Then a standard short RJ11-RJ11 broadband cable to the modem/router.

Unless you're FTTP it's the same for "fibre" as the final run is over copper, just the broadband is faster.

bmc
Hero

Sorry, forgot about the filter.

Brian

JohnofYork
Grafter

Thanks HPSauce

When the original fibre connection was installed, no external broadband filter was included. (This is about 10 years ago)

Subsequently, I got rid of all the old micro-filters as AFAIK they were unecessary.

bmc
Hero

@JohnofYork 

I guess it helps if you fully read and understand the set up.

The OR modem takes the place of the filter (I think!!!). So you would connect the OS Modem to the test socket and then your Asus router to the modem. Once done connect to the Asus to see what speed you get. Best done on a wired connection but with your PC elsewhere this may be difficult.

Brian

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@JohnofYork yes people get rid of stuff that isn't needed - until there's a problem!

Landline wired phones are one example, plug-in broadband filters another and many more......

If you can't find a way to connect just borrow a filter from a friend or neighbour, I bet they have loads.

(I can find about 10 without trying, plus a few filtered faceplates of various designs 🤣 )

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John,

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues. I've taken a look into this for you and I've arranged another Openreach engineer visit to investigate further, updating the ticket Here with the appointment details.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet