cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible upload speeds

thrillville
Grafter

Terrible upload speeds

I am having all sorts of speed problems and currently have a ticket open but it's taken a long time to get a response, probably due to the weather.
I have been getting lots of disconnections (at least 3 a day ) and every now and then the upload speed would sync at between 39 and 41kbps, instead of the usual 444kbps.
However, the last few days it has been stuck at 40kbps, I have tried rebooting, connecting to the master socket, etc. and it stays at 40, and as a result of moving the router around and rebooting to try and get a decent upload speed my download speeds have now got even lower.
Here is a copy of my router stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 11:45:21
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 40 / 1,832
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 36.5 / 64.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 126,626
CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 19
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 13

My line attenuation was 54.5dB last week but now seems to be 64.5 dB. Should this actually change?
Any help would be much appreciated
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Terrible upload speeds

Quote from: thrillville
My line attenuation was 54.5dB last week but now seems to be 64.5 dB. Should this actually change?

Not unless your phone line has been rerouted by a longer route.  It's more likely a bad connection or possibly a false reading from a faulty router.
thrillville
Grafter

Well I got disconnected a couple of hours ago at the same time I made a phone call, and the upload speed has come back up, but the line attenuation has changed again and there were a lot of upload errors before the values changed to NA, so something strange is going off.
Uptime: 0 days, 2:44:44
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2,268
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 54.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 9.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 23 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 13,196
CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If making a phone call caused a disconnect either you have something wrong with your equipment or there is a fault on your line - the former is the more likely.
Have you got ALL phones, Sky boxes, faxes or anything else plugged in to ANY phone socket filtered.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thrillville
Grafter

Yes, I've got filters on all sockets (1 master and 2 extensions). Only things connected are router and two phones, one corded and one cordless. All equipment was fine in last house, this is a new build and I have been here 8 weeks and been having problems ever since. There's a slight noise on the line on all phones, and I tried the corded phone in the master and still get the noise. I get disconnections at random and about 20% (at a guess) of the time I dial out or receive a call. Cheap builders didn't put in a NTE5 faceplate so haven't got a test socket so difficult to tell if the problem inside or outside the house.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you got an external NTE as shown at the bottom of this page: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
There's a discussion about where the users responsibility ends if you have one of these here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90920.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thrillville
Grafter

Yes I have one of those external NTE boxes, thanks for bringing that to my attention.
So doesn't look like there is much I can do since I have tried 2 different routers in the master socket, 3 brand new filters and a new cable, and both phones have noise on the line. I have contacted customer care department of my builder and they arranged for someone to come round, but he never turned up! I am very reluctant to pay any BT charge since they should have tested the line properly when they connected it, and I already had to pay £50 to have the new line connected.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thrillville.
you may have already seen the update on your ticket. Let me know when you update it so I can make sure it's attended to.
Jojo Smiley
thrillville
Grafter

Hi Jojo thanks for your reply, just letting you know I have updated my ticket
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thrillville,
[quote=ticket]The fault has not been fixed though as it will need re-wiring and re-plastering, etc, which will probably take some time.
If this is the case, is it really worth us doing anything at the moment?
Jojo Smiley
thrillville
Grafter

I would still like the banding to be removed if it hasn't been done already so at least I can get better speeds. Do I  need to go on a new 10-training period with this as well so that my speed goes back up?
I asked the engineer to remove the ringwire so there might be some improvement in stability, but obviously if I'm banded my speeds will never go back. Plus it could take some time before they actually fix the problem since it took 6 weeks for them to fix my central heating.
thrillville
Grafter

Well things are just as bad. I have just made a phone call and got disconnected from the internet at the same time and my upstream sync went from 444 to 385 and upstream errors went from 0 to those listed below:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:14:36
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 385 / 2,265
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 54.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 6.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 185 / 15,408
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 185 / 18
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 517 / 2
thrillville
Grafter

Hi if Jojo is reading this, I have updated my ticket again. Would be grateful if you could look at it and see if you have any idea what is happening or if you can get someone to look into it - it's ticket  #37506127. Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi thrillville,
The ticket no. you gave me relates to the phone fault. We're now going to treat this as a broadband fault, so will be following up Ticket: 37070817 as we think there may be an issue at the exchange judging by your latest update.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

... just one more thing. Is this issue happening in the test socket or just on the front faceplates?