cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible upload speeds and poor stability

wytco0
Grafter

Re: Terrible upload speeds and poor stability

Hi Jojo thanks I will check when I get back tomorrow evening.
wytco0
Grafter

Hi Again,
My link has been pretty stable with decent upload speeds but  I am seeing loads of spikes both on speed and latency. Last night from about 2100 onwards I was having a lot of problems and seeing ping times in the hundreds of ms again.
This morning In desperation, I have switched of interleaving but this does not seem to have improved my ping times at all, I am still seeing about 50ms at best.
My upload speeds also seem to have dropped again (not related to interleave).
Is there a contention problem in the exchange that I am connected to? as the variation I am seeing is causing me a lot of usage issues. I know that nothing much can be done with my download speeds but the latency and variation do seem to be related to the plusnet equipment in the exchange. My mother who lives next door 30m away and who has broadband from the same pole as me is getting a much more stable speed at all times and a lower latency as well but she is with talktalk.
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's very unlikely the interleaving order will have completed, it's usually done overnight but as it's a Friday today I wouldn't expect it to take effect until Monday I'm afraid. Hope it does sort things though.
As for contention, have you checked the VP status of your exchange at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ ?
wytco0
Grafter

HI Matt I willcheck speeds and pings over the next few days as I am stiull have performancxe issues anyway.
Re the VP status I have checked that and its states that  my exchange in fine, howoever I still have a feeling that there might be a contention problem at peak times as my ping times are gooing throughj the roof in the evenings.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When did you last reconnect?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wytco0
Grafter

Its Sunday Afternoon and I am adding these comments to my post from last night as I think I may have found an issue and if so it woudl indiucate that some of my problems may not be due to my Plusnet ADSL connection.
I was looking at my router (BT Homehub that I am using as Plusnet asked me to change from my normal Dratek V120 Modem and CIsco E3000 router) and I noticed that my link shows as being up for 3 days. If thats correct then it implies the drops that I saw last night were wireless only drops and not as I had assumed, link drops.
I have temorariliy set the wireless chanell to Auto (it was C11) to see if its an interferance problem.
Original post from Saturday follows.
I am now starting to think that Plusnet will never sort out the problems with my line, I seem to be in a loop where plusnet tell me to provide them with some information or do something like change my router or run BT speedteset (which I have told them numerous times does not work on my line) this is then followed by several days of nothing then an odd update saying something like my call will be reviewed on a date then a note saying that call has been returned to a pool often followed by an update saying that last stats are out of date and can I rerun BT Speedtest  which of course doesn't work.
I have provided all the information requested and still my link is unstable, it seems to be most unstable at night from about 2100 onwards tonight I have had multiple drops since about 2145.
Early on in this saga I was in touch with Jojo and things seemed to be well on the way to being sorted out but in the weeks since then I have just been given the run-around and I seem to be no nearer getting a stable link.
To make things worse I went to update my fault and accidentally closed it, I have opened an new one asking them to reopen the accidentally closed call but I expect I will now be at the start of another long list of requests to swap router run BT speedtest etc etc