cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible upload speeds and poor stability

wytco0
Grafter

Terrible upload speeds and poor stability

I am a new  customer with broadband and phone from plusnet.
The installation was done a few weeks ago in a new house and we have now moved in.
The main problem is terrible upload speeds which are under 150kbs, the download is unstable and varies a lot with a max of 3MB (which is all we can expect here) until today I have also been experiencing frequent disconnects on the line..
I have tried to report this as a fault but I am having problems as the speedtest does not seem to regard the upload speed as an issue.
My mother who lives next door 25 meters away has a ADSL connection on the same exchange (but from talk talk) and her speeds are consistently better with the upload speed being about 300kbs better all the time.
Upload speed is very important to me and I need to get this improved.
I would be grateful for some assistance is sorting this problem out.
35 REPLIES 35
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Terrible upload speeds and poor stability

Are you using a Plusnet supplied TG585v8 router using a wireless connection to your computer?
It would help non-Plusnet staff to comment if you could post the information listed in the opening post of the Speed faults - information needed to help diagnosis topic?
David
wytco0
Grafter

More info router is a BT homehub 2 here are stats:
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 2 days, 15:19:08
Downstream 3,648 Kbps
Upstream 192 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.5 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 49.0 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 17.9 dBm / 11.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 24
Loss of Signal (Local) 2
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 49649 / 2
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 499 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 1
Error Seconds (Local) 402
I will do BT spededtest again asap but it keeps failing and telling me to try again later.
I am useing the master scocket which has a built in ADSL faceplate as installed by plusnet.
The phone is fine with no noise.
I will retest with the test scoket when I can get my hands on a filter.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Those stats are poor, upstream sync speed should be 448kbps with a noise margin much higher than 6dB. Your present results suggest electronic noise is present across the upstream frequency range which is next to the phone frequencies. I'm surprised you don't experience some crackling noises on the phone. Are you using a corded or cordless phone?
Getting this fixed will require a fault report to be filed using the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net/. I would be inclined to report it as a dropping connection fault (which you had) since as you say low upstream speeds aren't really catered for. Testing using the test socket and a filter will be essential as will trying an alternative router. It is also desirable to test an alternative ADSL modem cable.
David
wytco0
Grafter

Thanks Spraxyt
I checked via the test socket and it didnt make any difference. However something has happened and the speeds have improved, I am not sure why they are still not great but upload speed is up to above 300k.
However I have also swapped my router and modem back to my own ones (the Homehub was borrowed), I am now useing and Cisco Linksys E3000 router and a draytek 120 modem. the only problem is I dont know how to get stats out of this combination ! When I work that out I will post them.
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

draytek 120 modem. the only problem is I dont know how to get stats out of this combination

this may help http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html or
you could try unplugging the linksys and plug the draytek straight into the laptop, then create a new PPPoe connection this may help http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Ian
wytco0
Grafter

ian007jen thanks fro those tips, I setup a ppoe on my PC and connected directly with my Draytek Vigor 120, its doesnt seem to have a vast array of statistics available but I found these:
LAN Status Primary DNS:  194.109.6.66 Secondary DNS:  168.95.1.1
  IP Address TX Packets RX Packets   
  192.168.2.1 2151 2169   

WAN 1 Status 
  Enable Line Name Mode Up Time 
  Yes SDSLADSLEthernet  PPPoA 00:00:00 
  IP GW IP TX Packets TX Rate(Bps) RX Packets RX Rate(Bps)
  --- --- 0 0 0 0
Message [ PPP Shutdown ]

WAN 2 Status
  Enable Line Name Mode Up Time 
  Yes Ethernet  --- 00:00:00 
  IP GW IP TX Packets TX Rate(Bps) RX Packets RX Rate(Bps)
  --- --- 0 0 0 0

SDSLADSL Information      ( SDSLADSL Firmware Version:  321311_A) 
  ATM Statistics TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
  10692 19801 0 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SDSLADSL Status Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
  G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 3680000 8 48

wytco0
Grafter

I am still having problems iwth the BT speedtest, it has run a couple of times in the past but most of the time I get:
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: wytco0
LAN Status Primary DNS:  194.109.6.66 (Netherlands) Secondary DNS:  168.95.1.1 (Taiwan)
SDSLADSL Information      ( SDSLADSL Firmware Version:  321311_A)
  ATM Statistics TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
                        10692    19801      0                1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  SDSLADSL Status Mode State  Up Speed  Down Speed  SNR Margin  Loop Att.
  G.DMT                SHOWTIME  448000      3680000        8                  48

The essential information is there. Quoted information edited for clarity.
The selection of DNS servers is odd, but that is of secondary importance for the moment.
The important information is that the upstream sync speed is 448kbps which is what it should be. It looks like the target downstream noise margin has been raised to 9dB (reducing sync speed by 500-750kbps); this might well result from the disconnections. Was the BT Homehub always in use when these occurred?
David
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Seems a little slow
Loop Att. 48

enter the details here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Because the WAN is not connected we cannot see the CRC errors. Have a play about when the router is connected to the draytek to see if you can find the stats after a few hours of use.
IAn
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi wytco0,
thanks for your time on the phone. I'll place an order to uncap your upstream, so hopefully you will see an improvement there. As for the overall performance let me know when you're in the test socket and I can take a fresh look.
Jojo Smiley
Also, this is the link to the BT Availability Checker I promised you. Smiley
wytco0
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
just got back ran a test and it was bad 100ms ping, download about 2Mbs  and 0.15Mbs  upload.
But
I rebooted the modem and its much much better  now seeing pings of about 50ms 3Mbs download and 0.6+ upload.
I will try some more tests in the morning with the test socket and report back.
Thanks for the link.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI wytco0,
have you managed to try the test socket yet?
Jojo Smiley
wytco0
Grafter

Hi Jojo, I have just switched oevr to the test socket and the speeds seem about the same however the ping reposnce has improved a little to about 46 it was over 50 and before the change you put through it was often very much higher than that.
I now seem to have a stable connection at about the best speed I can get. Thanks for your help.
Tim
wytco0
Grafter

Not sure if its related but at about 15:05 my connection dropped, I had to restart the modem 5 mins later to get it back.