cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible upload speed

FIXED
alan76

Terrible upload speed

The Plusnet recommended broadband speed checker shows my upload speed as 0.16 usually, sometimes 0 (yes, zero!).  I reported the fault and was told that no upload speed is guaranteed, i.e. I should regard zero upload as acceptable.  How can this be, when Microsoft, Google etc are pressing us to store our stuff in the cloud?  My download speed is OK, so why should I pay for a faster service, when all I want is what I already pay for?

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Terrible upload speed

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Hi @alan76 and welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having upload speed issues and I'm afraid we don't guarantee a set upload speed as we don't always get estimates to aim for and when checking your product via https://dslchecker.bt.com (Product: WBC ADSL 2+) there doesn't look to be an estimate. However, I've made some changes to your product anyway in hopes the line can achieve more than the 0.444MBps we are seeing getting to the router currently and this should complete overnight. let us know if the upload speeds do look to have increased come tomorrow morning and if you're not already we'd advise using a wired connection when checking the speeds with no other application/devices heavily using the bandwidth (either upload or download) when testing.

Although I'm fairly confident you should see an increase, of how much I'm uncertain. I can confirm this will be the very highest your line is capable of however and I'd suggest if you're still after more upload speed when seeing the tweaked speed tomorrow to potentially consider upgrading to fibre as if you check the estimate checker above you can see it offer much higher speeds in terms of download/upload speeds due to fibre being available in your area.

alan76

Thank you very much.  The upload speed has slightly more than doubled.  I just repeated an upload I did yesterday, and the time taken went from 30 minutes to 13 minutes. Still not wonderful, but much more usable.  I accept this is the best I'll get - unless an engineer shins up the pole outside my house and gives me a better pair of wires (I am only half a mile from the exchange).

Can you tell the Plusnet faults team how to do the change you did?  Three different people were involved and didn't manage to achieve anything.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @alan76, thanks for updating us.

We're glad to hear that although it isn't as high as you'd hoped, there has been some improvement.

We'll ensure that your feedback is passed along to the faults team.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance at all.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @alan76 

A warm welcome to the forum.

With issues such as this, it is always helpful to post your router stats, as that allows a better assessment of your individual circumstances to be assessed.

Whilst it is indeed correct that no guarantee is made on US speed (in fact no reference at all is made) the ADSL products have set bands for US.  Reading between the lines, you are on ADSL2+ and the action taken here was to uncap** the US from 444kbps to a potential of 1.4Mbps.  I say potential as the actual will depend on the state of your phone line AND YOUR INTERNAL WIRING.

Connecting the router to the master socket (if it is not already) and optimising internal extension (if there are any) might deliver further improvements, but without sight of the router stats, that's guess work.

**Uncapping the US is not a "faults" fix, it is a change in provisioning (service order) - different department!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.