Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible pings now no connection

Wozza2016
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Terrible pings now no connection

Hi peeps.

I had bad pings this morning now no Internet. Dsl light is off on my router. The connection seems to be really poor over the weekends.

What can be the problem?

I might make the switch to another isp if this carries on.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Terrible pings now no connection

Hi @Wozza2016,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your connection. Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on?

If the troubleshooting checks don't resolve the issue please report it here and let us know when you've completed it.

Regards,
Emily

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Wozza2016
Dabbler

Hi.  I might have to do that.

It is strange.  When I am using my tablet and phone via wifi if I use the app Speedtest it chooses a server in Kansas City USA and my ping is bad.  Why is this?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

There are various causes of high latency, do you see the same issues using a wired connection?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wozza2016
Dabbler

So I spoke to an advisor.  I told them Speedtest website is picking up the Kansas City server as my optimal server.  Isn't this strange?  I also tried closer servers such a Vispa Manchester and TNP Ltd.  Both of these servers are giving me 3mbps only and pings of 60ms (it should be 6mbps and 21ms).  Something is wrong.  I was told it was my wifi as the line from their end checks out fine.  I am certain it is not my wifi as I scanned my neighbourhood and chose the best channel.  So my next move is to use the ethernet of the router and prove Plusnet is providing a poor service.  When I do that I am sure I will be proved right.

I'll keep you updated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

The location showing on the speedtester isn't anything to worry about.

It'd just likely be down to the geolocation database of the website not updated to reflect the new location of your IP address.

Let us know how it goes once you've tried an ethernet connection.

Thanks.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet