Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible online gaming

ralfus
Dabbler

Terrible online gaming

Hi all.
I`m new here and first of all i have to apologise for such a long story and for my bad spelling-my english is not the best Wink
I decided to join the Plusnet after i seen good reviews/opinions and just after my old broadband has been taken over i noticed a big drop o all speeds.
With the o2 i used to get 4-4.5 Mb/s download and about 0.9 Mb/s upload.
Before I swiched to plusnet i asked member of staff about the speeds i`m going to get and was told speed should be the same.
I don`t know why but since the first day i`ve had a bad feeling and concerns about new broadband.
I knew about first 10 days of training period so coluldn`t do anything- just wait.
Training period has expired but nothing has changed- maybe just one thing- my broadband stoped disconecting all the time...
I found out that after first 10 days- my broadband will be stabilising by following 3 days...Ok very nice so that means 14 days of cool off period
is completely useless because  that gives just one day to check how your broadband works......
So after about 14 days i started to check what speed i do have and most the time it was 3.3Mb/s download and 0.25Mb/s upload.
I asked why do i get so slow upload speed and thats the answer:
"If you want us to uncap the upstream we can do this, but it s not guaranteed to increase the upload speed, it could even go down. It will also reduce your download speed, however I cannot estimate how much by."
Thats ridiculous.
I didn`t ask plusnet  to do it and now i have 2.5-2.7 Mb/s download and upload is the same. I attach some speedtests screen shots below.
When i have had the o2 broadband it wasn`t too bad- browsning the web was just great, online gaming not so good
because the traffic management has beeb affecting it in the peak times.
I looked around for the broadband for the online gamers and found PLUSNET and info about the PRO add on.
I pay for that 5 £ extra and what??? Nothing. Doesn`t change anything while i play online. I have got PS3 and mostly i play COD4/MW3. I can check what is my
connection-i go online, get in the private match i there is info about recommended number of players (in my private lobby)  which suppose to be 18 of 18.
Now this number is 6 or 8... With the o2 it was 18 of 18... I go online-get in some game and there is connection quality shown as 4 bars of it.
Each player has 3 or 4 bars of connection and just me have 1 or 2 bars...!!!! I made few photos while trying to play online and put them below.
So very often i get beaten just because of that......i`m so frustrated..
Browsing the web is twice longer than with the o2 broadband.
After some answers from plusnet staff i don`t expect any improvment and just can`t wait till my contract ends up and probably I will get back to o2
because what is the point to pay twice more money for the worst service...????
23 REPLIES 23
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Terrible online gaming

Hi ralfus,
welcome to the forum, sorry to hear it's not been the best experience for you so far. I've noted a couple of things while looking into this. Your line is interleaved - this won't help, and your upload is still capped at 448k sync. I think If I can get interleaving turned off and uncap the upload this would really help. However, doing this brings a danger of dropping connection which could lower your download profiles. So before I do any of that I'd like to make sure you are not using any extension cables/sockets before the router. Are you able to plug into the test socket? as this will, a) guarantee the best possible performance, and b) rule out any potential internal wiring issue.
Let me know and I'll look into it further for you.
Jojo Smiley
ralfus
Dabbler

Hi Joanne.
Thank You for fast answer.
I don`t use any extension cable/sockets before my router.
The other thing about the test socket i remember some problems I used to have with o2 broadband.
O2 staff told me to connect my router to the test socket and i did.
They found some problems with cables at my home and sent BT engineer i he has installed new
socked and said i don`t need to plug any filter in.
If You still want me to connect my router to the test socket i will do it.
Thanks very much for Your help Smiley
BTW Ate you going to turn intrerleaving off now and uncap the upload as well?Huh
Not applicable

I have a great connection but can't ever get that many kills on CoD haha Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ralfus,
Quote from: ralfus
If You still want me to connect my router to the test socket i will do it.
Thanks very much for Your help Smiley

Yes please.
BTW Ate you going to turn intrerleaving off now and uncap the upload as well?Huh

Yes, I'll place an order today, just make sure you plug it into the test socket. Please bear in mind, if there were still problems with your line they will probably become more noticeable. Let's hope not though.
Jojo Smiley
ralfus
Dabbler

Hi Joanne.
I have just pluged my router to the test socket and switched.
I`ve aslo thought to switch off my home phone to exclude any possible interferences caused by that so did.
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ralfus,
The order is due to complete tomorrow for you, hope it does help with things - please let us know how it goes, thanks very much.
ralfus
Dabbler

Ok.
Hopefully thats gonna help.
BTW Could anybody tell me what happened to my upload speeds that by the last two weeks it droped down from 0.35Mb/s to 0.25Mb/s...?Huh
(see the speedtest sdreenshots above)
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

BTW Could anybody tell me what happened to my upload speeds that by the last two weeks it droped down from 0.35Mb/s to 0.25Mb/s...?Huh

Not sure to be honest, it may all be academic after tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
ralfus
Dabbler

I have made the speed test this morning and seen upload speed has increased to 0.8-0.9 Mb/s and  just after that I have started playing COD4.
I can just say the difference is very BIG and now i can play with the pleasure Smiley
Hope it`s goona stay like that.
Thank you very much Cool
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great news, thanks for letting me know Smiley
ralfus
Dabbler

Do you want me to keep router pluged in to the test socket?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ralfus,
Unless you have to move it I wouldn't. If you did and the line goes bad again it could mess things up.
Jojo Smiley
ralfus
Dabbler

Hi.
I`m coming back because i am already pissed off by the browsing internet with the Plusnet broadband. All web sites need very much time to get fully displayed.
Playing online and using computer in the same time is also impossible...
My girlfriend is sick whenever she hears word PLUSNET and she can`t wait till october to switch to another provider. I`m even thinking to pay that 90 pound fee and get out of it before...
So is that gonna increase from just over 2Mb/s (sometimes even much under 2Mb/s)  to 3.5Mb/s as it suppose to be???
Router is still connected to the test socket btw.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ralfus,
It looks like the connection is dropping intermittently, which will be causing the slow speeds. As the router is still in the test socket it seems pretty conclusive that it's a line issue (assuming that unplugging the phone and changing the microfilter makes no difference) so if you could raise a dropping connection fault through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net we'll get it investigated and sorted for you.