Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible download Speed + Latency issue

Gimlisk
Grafter

Terrible download Speed + Latency issue

Hello!
(Sorry for any in-correction while typing this)
I've recently joined PlusNet because BT was terrible in so many ways.
So after joining and told to wait few weeks before we got decent connection.
We still get terrible connection.  We have 2 main computers, 2 tablets witch are mostly off, 2 laptops, 1 off and 1 mostly used for few minutes.
I've done so many speed tests and we just get terrible speeds. As we got a text saying our speed should be 7MB, our speed while downloading games/updating is 250kb. Witch means we are having to leave are PC on for nearly 2 days straight! Just to update a game or download a game!
I've done another speed test using a link http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ; and the results (witch means nothing to me as I don't have a clue about whats great and not, only by doing something to a game) look terrible.

This is the result I'm getting.
I could use some serious help!
I haven't mention we've been like this since October last year! (before we moved to PlusNet FYI) And playing games is become more & more tense for me.
We've also try to call but line is always busy, so I'm making this post to get a respond hopefully.
If you want to know more info to help, please ask.
Kind Regards
8 REPLIES 8
WThor

Re: Terrible download Speed + Latency issue

try www.speedtest.net
Also what router are you using?
Gimlisk
Grafter

Download, Upload is same thing, terrible connection. The Ping tho is a lie. In all MMO games I've played, the ping/latency goes up and down like mad and becomes unplayable & useless to groups.
My router: PlusNet Technicolor (Think that's it?)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear that your pings are high when gaming, but I'm afraid as the ping test you show above will be to a completely different server I very much doubt it's a lie. If you could run a traceroute to the servers you do game on we'd be happy to take a look for you?
Gimlisk
Grafter

I don't know what you mean by that.
But as we may have a solution to our problem and could use your help.
We have 2 computers, 1 up stairs next to the router & 1 downstairs (mine) that is using a wire to connect to the router. Whenever my brother puts on his PC and plays games, talks to his mates, etc,etc. I start to lag out bad and starts to become unplayable. So we thought is it possible to have 2 routers in the house. 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs so the connection to both will be equal and no issue? Or is that impossible?
We still get rubbish download speed when updating our games as well (by the way)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you disconnect and reconnect your router please (Log into router, click disconnect, power off, power on and then log back in and reconnect).  Your sync rate appears to be at the full rate for a 20CN connection, but you are definitely not getting the speeds you should be.
That might trigger an update on ourside with a bit more information.  If it doesn't, we'll need to raise a speed fault for you!

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Gimlisk
Grafter

Hey,
I've done what you said and now waiting for you.
dick:quote
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi,
Still not seen a profile update for you.  Best thing to do will be to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Gimlisk
Grafter

Okay thank you. Will get to it asap.