cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Speed on FTTC all day

bobthemonkey

Terrible Speed on FTTC all day

Could someone in Plusnet Towers please have a look at my connection ; something seems really wrong!
FTTC installed 16 days ago - was holding steady at 70Mb+ for the first week and all was good.
Yesterday it started dropping into the 20 - 30 range, getting as low as 0.5Mbps during the Wales - Italy match(that I was trying to stream!).  Reset everything, and is now bouncing between 20 - 30 Mbps.
About the same time I get an txt from Plusnet, saying my line is profiles for 74MBps, confirmed by the BT wholesale checker. After the last test its dropped to the high 60s.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 33.93 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 55.23 Mbps-69.04 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 69.04 Mbps

Only other things going on were my phone transitioned to Plusnet from BT yesterday and there are some roadworks between the property and cabinet.
It does look like something's going on this weekend - lots of people reporting poor speed all over the place.
8 REPLIES 8
bobthemonkey

Re: Terrible Speed on FTTC all day

Just re-ran the tests after midnight, and speed is back up to the 55-60 mbps area.
I know there will be traffic management and congestion at peak times; but the speed drops seen were massive and went far further into the evening than I would imagine .
After 10 minutes, it's already sliding back to 25.
BTW, all these speeds are in the red/unacceptable range on the BT tool.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You could raise a speed fault ticket at http://faults.plus.net. From what you say it might well be related to the roadworks but BT will need examples to prompt them into action.
David
ml4timer

also getting horrible speed here
maybe not the right place since the OP seems to be on fiber but oh well (been like it for a few days)
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3276178069 (classed as 8mbs i belivle, tho what people claim is never real, used to get 6-7 mbs tho)
x47c
Grafter

You need to post your problems on a new thread
If you are on the "up to 8Mbps" service the reality is
The maximum possible sync speed was 8128kbps
The maximum possible IP setting was 7150kbps - the difference basically being overheads in the data transmission.
Users might possibly get the full 7.15Mbps download at 6am on Sunday - when I was on it I did at that time.
But for the most part 6 to 7Mbps is indeed the maximum possible download speed achievable.
bobthemonkey

Back up to 55ish.
Still not massively happy, and would like someone at plusnet to check the line. Fault/ticket raised as well.
picbits
Rising Star

Are you testing wirelessly or wired ?
I know when the neighbours are using their wireless a lot my speed tends to suffer. During the day when they are out (I work from home) I have very few issues.
ScottJames
Grafter

I had terrible speed on Friday. Usually get around 71Mbps on sped test, but would only get around 20-30. Then my line dropped connection three times and wouldn't connect. Then all of a sudden the connection synced again, and since then it seems to be ok.
bobthemonkey

Scott- that seems similar.
Tested wired & wireless, using PPPoE.
Wireless is AC so shouldn't be the bottleneck.