cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Broadband Speed

Tortoise

Terrible Broadband Speed

I'm paying for a broadband service which offers a minimum speed of 7mbs. My most recent speed tests have produced results in the range 0.3mps to 0.6mps... not what I am paying for!

I tried looking for the option to raise a ticket with tech support, but that seems to have been removed from what was once a usedful account management portal. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I did try raising the issue with the tech support Twitter account, and received an automated response telling me to read the web pages I'd already looked at to find carry out the test and find the Twitter account in the first place. Lockdown is difficult enough when you're caring for a vulnerable 90 year-old 24/7, but not having useable access to the internet is painful.

Anyone from plus.net care to assist here?

7 REPLIES 7
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Re: Terrible Broadband Speed

Hi @Tortoise

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear about problems with your broadband. I have tested your line and there is an indicator that something at your premises is causing interference.

Fault Localization Analysis

Home(Recent Frequent)  - Slow, Severe REIN. Severe REIN daily

There is no fault on line itself. I have changed some settings on your line to improve speeds. Can please complete troubleshooting guide from @Gel post to exclude any problems caused by internal wiring?

Tortoise

Hi,

I think I'd already looked at most of the suggestions made, however, last night my speed jumped up to 11.6Mbs and is currently testing at between 7.4Mbs and 11.88Mbs.

You have three happy campers here... thanks.

Tortoise

In April/May, I posted about the terrible broadband 'speeds' I was experiencing.

You did something to the line and the speed jumped up, which was great.

I'm hoping it's something you can do again, because our speed is worse than ever.

A few nights ago, I did discover that the BT master socket was causing a lot of 'static' on the phone-line. I cleaned the contacts and that seemed to improve matters, however the internet speed is still terrible (see attached screenshot).

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 14.23.11.png

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Tortoise Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Tortoise

Thanks for the pointer to the 'report faults' page.

I finished reporting the fault earlier this week, but still waiting for some kind of response.

Today's 'guaranteed 7Mbps speed' looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.21.54.png

which is roughly what we used to get with dial-up... back when plus.net was called free-online and offered free dial-up, email and unlimited webspace.

It seems I couldn't have picked a more appropriate username for this account!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @Tortoise

I've updated your open fault with the details but essentially it appears your speeds had become restricted due to a number of drops on your line as shown below

Ideally, we need to resolve the drops in connection first as if we were to unrestrict the line it would just get restricted again with the number of drops.

Can you respond to the latest update I've sent and then post back once you've done so?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team