Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary loss of connectivity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Temporary loss of connectivity.

Hi,
I have a Cisco 7970 VoIP phone connected to TeleHouse in London that has just gone off-line along with youtube.com at the same time.
According to my TBB ping stats there was nothing wrong at my end, nor at TeleHouse and none of the graphs show any packet loss. So in my opinion this points the finger elsewhere on the network.

Has anyone else experienced this temporary loss or have any thought on this?
97 REPLIES 97
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Temporary loss of connectivity.

I'm not aware of any issues. It's worth monitoring the situation though and trying tracerouting to YouTube if it does happen again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, this has reared up again, so far this morning the phone's gone off 5 times that I have seen, and I am the only extension to do so, out of those connected. My Internet went off line last night as you can see from the attached image and the TBB ping graphs show this as well.

So far I've not been on a call when this happens, which is lucky. Is there anything at your end that would shed some light on this?
LukeS
Grafter

Good morning Mook,
You have quite a lot of errors on the downstream, or to put it another way, the Mean Time Between Errors is 17 seconds. I was speaking to Tony and we disagree slightly but I think the errors maybe enough to drop your VoIP connection but not your broadband connection.
Would you be able to try connecting to the test socket with an alternative filter to see if the connection improves?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi LukeS,
And a Good Morning to you too, good to see someone so chipper before lunch! I have dual NTE5 DSL wall plates on these connections so no filter to change.
Any other thoughts?
LukeS
Grafter

I'm not suggesting it's an issue with your internal set up, but it could be. You can still remove the faceplate and try it in the test socket, but you would need a filter for that. The problem you have would be really difficult for an engineer to detect so it's best if we try and rule out everything internal first.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again, I know you're not suggestion, only very subtly hinting. Nothing has changed here with regard to my configuration the only thing that's been done is dusting, which of course needs stuff to be moved. So I will go and get my filters and move the connections over later today, as I simply can't dump people off line. I'll post an update when this has been done.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK done, it's amazing what the offer on an early lunch can do!
Anonymous
Not applicable

While doing (read cheating on) my crossword I noticed that Google maps was running very slow so I thought I'd do a speed test this is what I got from BT and might explain every thing.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :0.58 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.32 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

These details should be available to you.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

What EXACTLY has changed at your side since Luke updated this thread?
Your sync rate, in the space of a few hours has plummeted to 576k, with your loop loss going from a very (very) respectable 7db to 71db! I thought I was testing the wrong account at first, but further details confirm I am looking at the right details.  
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tony,
All I have done is what was asked of me. I removed the face plates from the NTEs plugged my modems in to ADSL filters and connected them in to the holes left by the face plates.
Nothing more, nothing less.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

This is quite concerning, can you please put everything back as it was, I want to see if anything changes (again). Thanks.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Have you connected the modem to the phone line filtered output, this would show as a massive attenuation increase but ADSL may still work (badly)!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tony that's it done as requested. Test results below.
Line 1 :
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

Line 2:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1 Mbps

I just have to mention this. I notice from the above that the 'acceptable' range of speed auto adjusts to suit the profile's results, is it me or is that just a bit sh***y and BT going in to bum covering mode!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It's basing the acceptable performance on your IP profile. Speaking of which, now that your sync rate has gone up, the IP profile will soon raise automatically. The bigger the increase, the quicker time it takes.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team