cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone interference

Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Telephone interference

I've spent the past two days trying to get my mums broadband working and we've managed to ascertain that her telepohone is interferring with the broadband signal.
It's a cordless phone and everytime you make a call or finish a call the broadband goes down, and you have to reset the router to get it running again. Sometimes this takes a few minutes, other times (like this morning) it takes a couple of hours.
I've got two queries though:
How can a cordless phone interfere with a corded modem (they are in seperate sockets)
Secondly, do you think she could a refunbd on her phone becasue of the problem?
16 REPLIES 16
Not applicable

Re: Telephone intererence

I would be tempted to replace the filters initially (both - the one where you have your router plugged in, and the one where the phone is plugged in)
If your current filters aren't up to the job, this might easily explain how the interferance is getting through.
The ones supplied free with routers are getting better, but they are still far from great - some better quality ones might cure your mothers issue with a bit of luck.
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Telephone interference

Sounds more like either a filter problem or a line fault.
Firstly, is the phone connected via an ADSL filter?   All devices on the same telephone line as the ADSL router need to be filtered.
Secondly, have you tried different filters on the ADSL router and the telephone itself?
Thirdly, if you pick up the phone and dial 17070 and select option 2, can you hear any crackling, hissing or electronic sounds in the background?
B.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

I replaced all the filters yesterday, and this changed nothing. I did the line test you suggested and it sounds awful.
I've just tried a corded phone and the same thing happens: make a call, the BB goes down.
Starting to sound like a line fault. When I spoke to BT yesterday they said they was no problem witht he line and to thoroughly check my kit first.
I'm tempted to ring them back, but I don't want to lumber my mum with a massive charge if it's something I can rectify myself.
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of preceding post - it is not needed and is a breach of the link:rules
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

If you unplug everything, then just plug 1 phone into the master socket and do the quiet line test (17070).  If you hear noise on the line then it has to be caused by either the phone or a line problem.  If you try it with more than 1 phone and the problem is still evident, then the chances of it being the phone are drastically reduced.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

garywood84
Rising Star

Joe,
It sounds to me like this could be a fault on the line, but to be sure, have you tried connecting the router and telephone directly into the master telephone socket by removing the front plate?  It's really easy to do this, and you can find instructions inside the front of your BT phone directory or on the BT faults webpages (see this PDF: http://www2.bt.com/static/i/media/pdf/repair_guide.pdf).
This test isolates all of your internal extension wiring and, if the problem still occurs when you've connected up a corded phone to this sotkcet, and if you try more than one filter, you can be almost certain that the problem is outside your property.  You can then pass it back to BT safer in the knowledge that you're not likely to be charged.
Hope this helps,
Gary
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Quote from: pjmarsh
If you unplug everything, then just plug 1 phone into the master socket and do the quiet line test (17070).  If you hear noise on the line then it has to be caused by either the phone or a line problem.  If you try it with more than 1 phone and the problem is still evident, then the chances of it being the phone are drastically reduced.
Phil

With the phone plugged in on its own the line is clear as a bell.
With the broadband plugged in on its own there's no problem.
When they are BOTH plugged in they don't play well together. The phone hisses and the BB goes down when you use the phone.
To me that says its the filter or the line. I've tried a few filters including new ones and nothing seems to change.
So surely it's a line problem... isn't it? Undecided
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Joe
So surely it's a line problem... isn't it? Undecided

...probably, or an issue at the exchange.  To be absolutely sure, though, I'd carry out the test directly into the line, as detailed on the second page of the PDF I linked to above.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Can't do that. She's got the old style socket with no panel.
I'm just going to ring BT I think...

Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of preceding post - it is not needed and is a breach of the Forum Rules
zubel
Community Veteran

Yep, if you have an old-style with no detatchable face-plate then it is not possible for you to exclude your extension wiring without contravening BT's terms and conditions.
So, the next logical step is to call BT and report a voice fault on the line.  Ideally, do this from a corded phone when your router is plugged in so that the operator on the other end can physically hear the noise, (and ask them to confirm they hear it)
B.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Getting angry now... BT are saying if the phone works fine when plugged in on its own then there isn't a fault with the line.
They've told me to contact Plusnet. I have a feeling I'm going to pushed from pillar to post for the rest of the evening
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

And that is one of the reasons I moved my phone to Plusnet - and after 2 months finally sorted an intermittent fault which at times affected the phone and/'or the broadband - touches wood rapidly  Grin
waldron
Grafter

I'm no expert, but...
With the phone plugged in on its own the line is clear as a bell.

surely that appears to indicate that there isn't a problem on the line itself
With the broadband plugged in on its own there's no problem.

it seems that the line supports ADSL also without problems.
You say that the broadband and phone are in separate sockets (and I presume there is a splitter/filter on each socket). How are the two sockets connected? Were they both installed by BT from a junction box outside the house, or is there 'DIY' wiring between the two? In which case, is the broadband or phone plugged into the master socket.
Could internal cabling, or the router itself be the cause of the problem?
oliverb
Grafter

My two pence:
Its been reported that some DECT phones are excessively sensitive to broadband signals. A corded phone should eliminate this.
I am convinced that some lines suffer from severe intermodulation, possibly due to corroded junctions. The main symptom would be crosstalk between voice and broadband. I'm convinced I've heard this, in the form of a steady hiss normally and a series of warbles during a resync.
My first advice is to wait for bad weather as this may result in a clear overt voice fault that you can report honestly.
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

Quote from: waldron

You say that the broadband and phone are in separate sockets (and I presume there is a splitter/filter on each socket). How are the two sockets connected? Were they both installed by BT from a junction box outside the house, or is there 'DIY' wiring between the two? In which case, is the broadband or phone plugged into the master socket.
Could internal cabling, or the router itself be the cause of the problem?

I can't say. Mum moved in earlier this year and the BT sockets were already here. There's no visible extension cables.
It was left with PN last night, and they were going to run tests and, if necessary passit on to BT.
This morning there's still no change.
To get the BB working a have to make and finish a phone call, then the router decides to start working (it says either 'training' or handshaking' before making a call), but as soon as the phone is used again it will go down again.