cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolour versus Sagem 2704n

peejay
Grafter

Technicolour versus Sagem 2704n

At my last contract renewal a few weeks ago I was sent a Sagem 2704n as a an upgrade to my Tecnicolour router (firmware 8.4.4.J.)
Because of very, very long line syndrome max. speed available to me is circa, 448/1600 Bandwidth as is everyone in this hamlet. It's been the same for over fourteen years since my relationship with PN and it's former associates.
Having set up the "plug and play" Sagem - ethernet wired and plugged into the mastersocket  - download speed suffered a 60 - 70% loss!
Following my call to PN a new Sagem was despatched as I was advised that it may have been from a "dud " batch this being said after having my speed and stats checked by the agent. Having replaced the Technicolour all speeds returned to normal. This despite almost identical router stats shown on the two different routers as regards SNR , latency and error rate.
Accordingly a replacement Sagem 2704n was despatched which I plugged in today only to have exactly the same speed loss as the first Sagem router sent to me. Wifi signal when switched on when a tablet is used etc. is almost non-existent and only works in the same room as where the router is situated. Re-plugged the Tecnicolour and normal hard wired banding speed and excellent wi-fi speeds throughout the house commensurate with my simple ADSL interleaved download speed. Both agents to whom I spoke were polite and understanding but were at a loss to explain the drastic speed loss in respect of the two Sagem hub/routers but I did find it a little patronising to see the email/write up on my account directing me to the newbie slow speed video and a comment that should my speed be low to log a broadband speed problem with PN. I have no BB speed problem per se. The only problem is that the new hub/router(s) supplied is 60-70% worse than the previous one and given that this is a "sweetener" for agreeing to a new two year contract I am not a happy bunny this Easter. Has this happened to anyone else?

2 REPLIES 2
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Technicolour versus Sagem 2704n

Hi, I've only used those two routers briefly in each case.  I can't think of anything that the 2704N did better than the Technicolour 582N.    Advantages of the 582N which I found are .. (1) all configuration options are available from the normal menus (no hidden "expert menu"),  (2) DSL statistics can be accessed by programs such as DSLstats or RouterStats,  (3) suffers less from so-called buffer bloat, meaning that uploading data is less prone to bringing download speeds to their knees.  (4) configuration can be saved and restored in human readable format, giving another option to make bulk changes.
I borrowed a 582N specifically for reason (2), so I could collect error stats during an extended fault episode. 
Maybe someone will chip in with benefits of the 2704N if there are any.
I'm also on a long line although not as long as yours.  On my line I would say that if anything the 582N had the edge on connection speed, although there wasn't much in it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Technicolour versus Sagem 2704n

Quote from: aesmith
Maybe someone will chip in with benefits of the 2704N if there are any.

Pardon Undecided
The ADSL chipset is very good. Gave fractionally better speeds than the 582n on a 3km line, but really there wasn't too much in it. Other than that, well if you don't want to do anything complicated like port forwarding, and the likes, it might be OK as long as you aren't too far away from it if using wireless. Depends on your building structure and layout to be fair.
Plenty of posts on the Hardware board about its shortcomings, and a few littered about the ADSL & Fibre boards.