cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolour Gateway questions

JScherer

Technicolour Gateway questions

Just upgraded to fibre and Plus.net supplied a new Technicolour Gateway modem. It seems to have really poor wifi reach (my old ADSL router modem was Netgear N300 and worked well throughout the house). Is there a way to extend its reach (I have ethernet cabling through my house) rather than consider changing routers to a 'better' one (but if I did wish to change routers which could you recommend)? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolour Gateway questions

You could connect the two routers together, via ethernet, to give a wireless AP in another part of the house.
This will give you the idea:
http://npr.me.uk/together.html
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The supplied router's poor wireless is the subject of many threads on this forum. After trying 2 different 582ns I bought myself an Asus RT-N56U with which I'm absolutely delighted.  Smiley
JScherer

Thanks for the Asus tip - very much appreciated.
First I'm going to try linking in the old Netgear router as an additional wifi hub as recommended by NPR - as it is Netgear and not the same as the Plusnet technicolor thing presumably I just do the same as recommended on your link ie change setting on the Netgear so it is not acting as a DHCP server? And does it matter that it is an ADSL modem/router rather than a DSL fibre one? Apologies for the no doubt very ignorant questions but I am not that good at this stuff!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

presumably I just do the same as recommended on your link ie change setting on the Netgear so it is not acting as a DHCP server? And does it matter that it is an ADSL modem/router rather than a DSL fibre one?
The fact that its an adsl modem/router doesnt matter, you're only using the LAN ports ( and the wireless ). Its DSL light will flash though, since it will still be trying to find a DSL connection. Basically, as npr's link says, you need to
When two routers are connected together by their ethernet ports or via WDS:-
    They both need to be on the same subnet.
    Have different gateway IP address.
    DHCP needs to be disabled on the remote router. ( only one DHCP server is allowed on a network )
So as well as disabling DHCP, you need to allocate a lan IP to the N300 which is in the same subnet as the TG582n, but outside its DHCP range. Assuming the TG is set to defaults, I would suggest 192.168.1.63. Once connected into the network, the TG582n gui will be accessible on 192.168.1.254 and the N300 gui on 192.168.1.63 .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

IIRC the Netgear default gateway IP address is 192.168.0.1
So you just change it to 192.168.1.1, disable the DHCP server in the netgear and all should be ok.
If it's working as should be, from any where on your network you will be able to login to the Netgear's user interface on 192.168.1.1 or the Technicolor's user interface on 192.168.1.254.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
JScherer

Thanks again. I have now connected one of the 4 ethernet sockets on the netgear N300 into a wall ethernet socket which connects through the cat 5 wires in the walls directly into the Technicolor router... green lights on the Netgear show that it is connected to the router BUT I can't find it at all by logging in on 192.168.0.1 (which worked before)... I must (again!) be missing something obvious e.g. should I restart the Technicolor router or something ...? Thanks for all the advice which is much appreciated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

By the sound of it there you've got:
Openreach Modem -> Technicolor router -> Netgear router?
If so, you don't need both routers in (in fact it won't work if that's the case). Just connect the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem directly to the WAN port on the Netgear, you should then find things are working as you expect.
You'll need to put your username (the one that ends with "@plusdsl.net") and password into the Netgear in order to connect to the broadband though.
JScherer

Matt thanks but the Netgear does not have a WAN port - it has a USB socket, 4 ethernet ports and a port called ADSL but nothing WAN ...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just connect the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem directly to the WAN port on the Netgear, you should then find things are working as you expect.
No Matt, the Netgear is an ADSL mode/router, its doesn't have a WAN port. The OP's trying to use the N300 as just a wireless AP.
green lights on the Netgear show that it is connected to the router BUT I can't find it at all by logging in on 192.168.0.1 (which worked before)... I must (again!) be missing something obvious
Yes, as stated previously, you need to do some reconfiguration on the Netgear BEFORE connecting it into the Network. Connect it locally to a PC/Laptop and change its IP address to 192.168.1.1 and disable DHCP. Then you can connect it to the Tecnicolor and you will be able to access it on 192.168.1.1.
Edit:  Disable DHCP first and then change its IP address to 192.168.1.1, its going to be easier that way...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, my apologies - then why not just replace the Technicolor with the Netgear?
Too used to fibre lines now 😕 sorry.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're having a really bad day today Matt, It IS Fibre Smiley
@ JScherer, There is a step by step guide here http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852/~/set-up-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-on... . In your case use 192.168.1.1 as the IP for the 2nd router ( the Netgear in your case ) . Hope that helps

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

[me=Matt Taylor]gives up and goes home to hide under a duvet until today goes away[/me]
JScherer

Everything working perfectly. Thanks so much. I followed MisterW's (and npr's earlier) instructions; logged into the Netgear on another computer, changed the DHCP and then IP address; restarted it all on the Technicolor network and there it all is fine and working perfectly. Many thanks to you all and I am sorry my general incompetence in such matters has necessitated asking for help which you have all so kindly provided. ps I also hope Matt has a better day tomorrow!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you, so do I  Embarrassed
Glad you got it all working though, in spite of my help Wink