cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor tg582n - short on power?

rja
Grafter

Technicolor tg582n - short on power?

So, I spent a couple of hours on Friday night with PN support working out why my fibre speed had dropped from 52/11 to 11/0.8 which I really wasn't happy about! Have to compliment the PN support folk for working through the problem logically.
Eventually we came down to the router as the source of the slowdown. PN have a new one on the way to me to test. However, after I spoke to them it occurred to me that I had made one change - I had enabled web URL checking in the parental controls. I hadn't defined any rules though. So, I turned this off and my speeds are back at normal.
I guess this could mean the router is faulty but that seems unlikely to me now. Is the tg582n really so gut-less that simply enabling one of its own filtering functions can kill 80% of its performance?
That suggests it's pretty close to maxed out handling my connection normally. Does anyone know how to get the CPU utilisation?
8 REPLIES 8
mattturner
Grafter

Re: Technicolor tg582n - short on power?

Hi rja,
What tool were you using to check the speed of the line? I'd like to check this out here in the office.
Thanks,
Matt
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

From Technicolor's Customer Release Notes R8.4.3 :
"Services - Parental Control / Web Site Filtering
Using Parental Control, i.e. URL-based, or content-based filtering, negatively impacts the Technicolor Gateway
download performance."
http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7446
AFAIK it's not yet fixed on later releases.
npr
Pro

Quote from: rja
Does anyone know how to get the CPU utilisation?

Telnet command:
system debug cpu
Help on telnet commands for this router:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html
rja
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
What tool were you using to check the speed of the line? I'd like to check this out here in the office.

Used the BT wholesale speedtester, www.speedtest.net and thinkbroadband. They all gate the same results. Isolating the router from my network made no difference. Connecting my Mac directly to the modem via PPPoE solved the issue which is what set us to thinking the router was faulty. Then I realised I could just turn parental controls on or off to get the same result!
rja
Grafter

Quote from: npr
From Technicolor's Customer Release Notes R8.4.3 :
http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=7446

That's an interesting document. My router has firmware 8.C.M.0 - do you know the URL for the release notes for that version?
mattturner
Grafter

Ok, we've replicated this here.
I suspect that Technicolor will state that it's just a bug that will be fixed in a future release (as per the release note)
I'll let you know when they get back to me.
npr
Pro

R8.4.5.I is the most recent I can easily find and that still shows the web filter bug.
http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG582n/v1/Manuals/Release-Notes/
I suspect 8.C.M.0 is unique to Plusnet fibre, doubt you'll find any release notes for that.
rja
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
I suspect that Technicolor will state that it's just a bug that will be fixed in a future release (as per the release note)

Given the release note is nearly 2 years old, I guess we'd better not hold our breaths!  Sad