Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor router slow speeds

markrellison
Hooked

Technicolor router slow speeds

Hi,
Wondering if anyone else has seen this? Been having problems with slow download speeds ever since getting fibre installed at the beginning of August. Never more than about 37-40 mbps down, either Ethernet or Wireless-n.
I'm using the standard Plusnet Technicolor router. Raised this with Plusnet repeatedly and they finally decided there might be a problem on the line. BT engineer came out and said no, the link to the Openreach VDSL modem is syncing at 79mpbs, so you're losing speed in the router.
Plusnet have sent a replacement router - tried it, pretty much the same speeds.
I'm starting to think that the Technicolor router just isn't fit for purpose. Surely it shouldn't be dropping 50% data rate? Anyone seen similar and had any success with different router?
Cheers,
Mark
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Technicolor router slow speeds

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed what does this say for current line speed
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

When you ran the speed tests "wired" was the wifi interface turned off?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi markrellison,
After having a check of your account it appears that you're on the Unlimited Fibre package which is actually a 40mbps down and 20mbps up service which could well be why you're seeing the 37mbps to 40mbps speeds.
In order to have the connection opened up to the full potential, you would need to move to the Fibre Extra package which would offer upto 80mbps down.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Adam,
Support channel feedback?  If this user is on a profiled service, why did first line not see this and save the cost of a BT visit?
Is such a check in the problem support journey?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kevin,
This should most definitely be something that is both freely available to all agents, as well as something that would be checked before the customer is issued with a new router. I fed this back when I picked it up this morning so hopefully it won't be something we see coming from the same agent again.