cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor router and problems with media sharing across home network

bigbolam
Dabbler

Re: Technicolor router and problems with media sharing across home network

Apologies. Its different problems.  Let me attempt to explain. The blu ray player has two options of connecting to external data.  I use 'network drive' access.  The other option is dlna to a server.  The OP referenced problem was failure to properly access via dlna to the server.  I must admit this problem could well be the fault of the blu ray player having never been able to get it working properly.  However, network drive access and access to the internet worked on both the pre-firmware technicolor router and the old Cisco.  Following the firmware update to the router I cannot connect to anything beyond a wireless connection to the router when a using a static address.
From memory the address I used was 192.168.1.90.  I think the pool range starts at .65.  My server/network drive is set to static at .150 and connected via ethernet to the wireless router.  Server software is Twonky 7 which works very well with the Yamaha amp.
Thanks Chris
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

From memory the address I used was 192.168.1.90.  I think the pool range starts at .65.  My server/network drive is set to static at .150 and connected via ethernet to the wireless router.
I think the pool range start at 64, ideally you should set static IP's outside the router DHCP range ( i.e < 64 ) just in case the router allocates the address you've used. OK,so the addresses you've chosen shouldn't be a problem unless the router see's a LOT of different clients.
Just to be clear, when allocating the static IP have you also set the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 ( i.e the router ) ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bigbolam
Dabbler

Hi, thanks
For the gateway I think I used 192.168.1.1. I'll try your suggestion of .254 tonight and see if it makes any difference.
cheers, Chris
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It will absolutely make a difference. The default gateway has to be the address of your router otherwise you're not going to get traffic off the network.
bigbolam
Dabbler

Quote from: MJN
It will absolutely make a difference. The default gateway has to be the address of your router otherwise you're not going to get traffic off the network.

Semi success.  The blu ray player is now connected to router and on through to the internet.  It can also suddenly access and play some video files through the dlna option.  Unfortunately, I can no longer access the data though the 'network drive' option.  This would not be an issue were it not for the fact that a lot of the video files do not seem to be available through the dlna option and the dlna option has a truly awful GUI.  Panasonic could make a lot of improvements here.
Also could someone explain why the following happens.  Using dlna, and accessing the server by highlighting on the computer name, which I'm thinking represents the windows media sharing service (PC is on windows 7) a fair proportion of video files will play.  I would say about 130 out of 200 ish, however, not all 200 are visible, some are visible but will not play.  If I highlight the Twonky option, only about  10 will play, with less than 100 visible.  I'm assuming this is something to do with servers and compatible codecs.  Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for all the help.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

It's not something I've had any experience of unfortunately. However, I do know that a lot of consumer electronics support networking, and related capabilities, at only the most basic and clunky way and so such anomalies are not uncommon.
It might be worth finding a more specific forum for this sort of thing to see what other people's experiences with your particular setup are?
bigbolam
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi Chris,
Yes, when you plug it in it will upgrade itself automatically.
Matt

To update.  I given up with the technicolor router and returned to using the old cisco.  It might be wireless g but it  talks to all my other wireless devices without dropping and requiring restarts.
After lots of testing over the Christmas period I've narrowed the issue to a Tenda W150M wireless access point and the technicolor router.  They just don't like each other and will not stay connected.  Some days are better than others but sooner or later they just stop communicating and the Tenda requires a restart.
Have you heard of this problem before and have a possibe a solution?
cheers, Chris