Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TN582

kavithamagoo
Dabbler

Technicolor TN582

Hi,
I was sent a TN582 router after two v8 routers didn't do the job (see Adam's response below). the 582 seemed to work fine but I am having the same problem ie wifi doesn't work but internet works via wired connection. Have tried all the routine tests but no luck. Support can't help and say they can only send out a 585 v8 router which i know won't work.  can some one help?
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_ on 20/02/2012, 15:41
@kavithamagoo
I have to apologise as it sounds like the problem you've had could be a generic one and sending you another v8 will not help. I'm going to arrange for you to be sent a Tecnicolor TN582 instead.
It should reach you within 3 working days and I'd really appreciate some feedback in return just so I know how you get on.
Adam.
Hi,
The WIFI issue has raised its head again. I'm having the same problem with technicolor modem ie broadband works when i am wired it but not on wifi.
21 REPLIES 21
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor TN582

Do you have a different WiFi adaptor to try?  Sounds like a problem with your equipment, not 3 different routers..!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For reference link to Adam's post
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.msg872533.html#msg872533
Has WiFi ever worked on the TG582n as it did for a week on a previous TG585v8? Does the network SSID still appear even though you can't connect to it?
David
kavithamagoo
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
For reference link to Adam's post
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.msg872533.html#msg872533
Has WiFi ever worked on the TG582n as it did for a week on a previous TG585v8? Does the network SSID still appear even though you can't connect to it?

It did work from March until last week and it just stopped without any explanation (there has been no change to the equipment or any new gadgets etc).  My laptop, ipad, etc work on other wifi networks.  I can see the network/SSID but when i try to connect i just get a message "unable to connect" which is exactly the same problem i had with the 585v8.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi kavithamagoo,
I'd have to agree with what has been said so far that given this is three routers, this would really push this type of issue back more likely to be with some aspect of your equipment. However, I am not ruling out CPE yet.
Doing a quick check, the 582n you have is one of the early models we had used whilst we were testing integration with our Easy Setup system. As such, some of the defaults differ to those which we have one of deployment model (this is things such as the wireless network name (SSID)).
We can query the routers log, which should be able to highlight what it thinks is happening with wireless and may reveal what is causing. If this is ok, let us know and ensure the router is on.
kavithamagoo
Dabbler

Hi Phil,
The router is on.  As mentioned previously, my equipment ie laptop, iPad etc work fine on other networks. I am not sure what other equipment you may be referring to. I have tried disconnecting my cordless phone completely. I have also tried different microfilters.  i dont have any issues with the ethernet connection and speeds are ok when i am connected via network cable. So it has to be something to with the modem.  i also responded to the previous post by Kelly which doesn't seem to be appearing on the forum for some reason.  When i had problems with the 585v8 i was asked to try a different router - so i tested a netgear (borrowed) and everything was just fine.  I also created a wifi hotspot on my win7 laptop and my iPad can connect to it fine. All these results point to just one thing - the 582n is faulty.Of course I am not the expert here!
jim:quote
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks,
Looking at the routers log, I can see the following two entries. The first appearing one, the second has 14 mentions all dated yesterday (MAC addresses mostly commented out)

> Aug  5 13:23:24 LOGIN wireless station [00:xx:xx:xx:xx:7c] can't get authorized.
> Aug  5 12:25:44 LOGIN wireless station [f4:xx:xx:xx:xx:6e] can't get authorized.

These log entries occur when the wireless key that the device connecting to the router issues, is incorrect. Due to the way wireless security works and the information recorded by the router, this is all we can gleam, not what the specific key phrase the PC is trying to send.
Checking obvious causes of to why the routers wireless key and the one your PC stores shows that some changes have been made from the default wireless configuration. One such value that is not the factory default is that a manual wireless channel is currently in use, were the default is automatic channel selection.
The logs do not go back far enough to indicate when this change was made, nor does it show if some other defaults have been changed, such as the wireless key (as there is nothing to present a comparison of default versus current value).
We can see the router has been rebooted 3 times since Saturday.
Would you be willing to factory reset the unit at all?
It's first use date is still from when it was received back in February, which will update with each factory reset, as the value is based on what the router thinks is "first use". Factory resets are just that, the router for all purposes thinks it is just out of the box.
kavithamagoo
Dabbler

Hi,
what do i need to do in terms of the factory reset? just to let you know i haven't changed the wireless key since i received the router - I am still using the default one.
prichardson
Grafter

Given that, I would recommend a factory reset.
The router you have is configured for our Easy Setup service, so when you perform this it should automatically configure your device to reconnect with your own username.
As your wireless key is unchanged, restoring this should mean your wireless will work. It will also allow us to re-compare if something was different.
To perform a reset, you need to use something such as a paperclip. On the back of the unit by the cables, depress the paperclip into the hole marked reset until you see the power light change and then release it (this takes around 7 seconds).
The unit will then reset and will take from 3 to 10 minutes to complete its setup process.
kavithamagoo
Dabbler

No luck. I reset the router but still have problems connecting over wifi.
kavithamagoo
Dabbler

Hi - Does some one have an answer? If not I will be forced to leave because i have committed to a year's contract based on faulty routers.  i have subscriptions like netflix etc which are being wasted because of the wifi problem.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Since none of your wifi clients can connect try this:-
On the router - reset the wifi wpa password to something else like "This_is+My-Router*)" - any thing you want as long as it isn't easy to guess and more than 10 chars.
Then try and connect a client with the NEW password rather than the old one.
That will rule out the password being an issue.
taras
Grafter

kavithamagoo, is both your iOS devices to todate, or was there an update during this time.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Have you tried changing the WPA pass key in the router config to something you've defined yourself?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
prichardson
Grafter

Sorry, it appears this thread did not show in unread replied on the forum.
I have done some further digging into the details, but cannot find any other further logical reason for this.
I would like to send you a further router, which will carry Plusnet software on it, rather than the UK Generic one from when we supplied it.
This is not designed as a fix, as I will then arrange to collect the existing router from you (we will arrange a courier). We will conduct tests on it at that point to see if we can at first replicate the problem, but also see what the router thinks.
Is this OK?