cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG589vn v3 - Questions

RainyDog

Technicolor TG589vn v3 - Questions

Hello everyone.
I've recently picked up a Technicolor TG589vn v3 to finally replace my Speedtouch 585v6 which I'd more than had my money's worth from having been bought over 8 years ago refurbished. The TG589 ticked all the boxes I needed and none that I didn't which is always just as important to me. Or so I thought it did anyway as I'm looking for a spot of assistance with a couple of things if anyone can help please!
Was up and running fine after just popping in my Plusnet user and password and seems to have defaulted to settings that work fine out of the box. The GUI is pretty much the same as the Speedtouch which, despite probably not being the most intuitive out there these days, is handy for me as I've not much experience with routers otherwise.
Firstly, I'm looking to update the firmware if anyone can advise how to go about it please? I've found what appears to be the latest firmware tg589vnv3_r10.5.2.f_bn but there isn't anything in the GUI to trigger an upgrade. I recall there being a separate setup.exe for the Speedtouch for updating the firmware for that (or might have been on the set-up CD) but that was locked to an old firmware for using with DMT tool anyway. My TG589 v3 has come with r10.4xxxx firmware which might well be fine but I always prefer to keep up to date with firmwares on everything.
I'd also really appreciate a laymans explaination on how to share files between my wireless laptop and wired desktop. I've never bothered with LAN stuff before as I'd not needed it often enough and just been content with occasionally swapping stuff using USB sticks before. But I thought that now was as good time as any to learn and get things up and running as properly as I can from the off.
Last (and least) of all, I was hoping to go IPv6 but it just seems to be using IPv4 only. I've seen the thread about the Plusnet IPv6 trial using this router so I probably can't do anything about this anyway unless I'm in the trial I assume? If so, I'll just wait until it's a standard thing as it seems the TG589 takes plenty of messing with to get working properly with IPv6 by the looks of the thead!
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Technicolor TG589vn v3 - Questions

to upgrade it you use the same setup file as the 582, just with the new f/w.
the latest f/w I have is 10.5.2.F.BN which is the one you have.
To share files what OS are you using?
Simplest way is to share a folder over the net between the 2+ devices, to do this depends on your OS. For me I just need to right click the folder and select Share Folder  Smiley
IPV6 needs the trial or the use of the tunnel. I was on the trial so my comments on how to do it are there.
RainyDog

Thanks for the response McBiker. Ah, so there's a set-up file for the 582 which can also be used to launch a firmware update for the 589? The 10.5.2.F.BN firmware files I've got are a .bin and .rbi and I wasn't sure what to do with or how to trigger them...
I'm using Windows 8.1 on both PC's. I've set them to allow file/printer sharing as I'd always just turrned that off before, so it's just a matter of right clicking and sharing folders like media streaming?
Yeah, I've been reading all your posts in the IPv6 thread. Appreciate your contributions, looks like you got there in the end but took some work! Will no doubt come in very handy down the line anyway, cheers.
dick:quote
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Can't help on Win8.1 never used it.
The setup for the flashing is in the library section (its for the 582 but they use the same one)
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You'll find the firmware update tool here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
The bad news is, it doesn't work with windows 8.1.
Even setting it to compatibility mode in win 8.1 I couldn't get it to work -- works fine in windows vista.
RainyDog

Thanks for the links and heads up on Windows 8.1 npr. I'll give it shot anyway and just borrow my mom's Windows 7 laptop if needs.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Click the "how to use" link on that page, as there is a Windows 7 specific version of the update tool available.
That's RPM to you!!