Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n .... red internet light

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Technicolor TG582n .... red internet light

OK my Technicolor TG582n is showing a solid red internet light on the front.
This apparently means:
Red solid: Internet connection setup failed, reboot the modem
Err... the router has been up for 14 days and 10 hours and as I'm typing this from home its obviously still working.
So what is going on, what does this red light actually mean?
18 REPLIES 18
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Technicolor TG582n .... red internet light

Maybe this 582n is 'Techicolorblind' or perhaps it's a warning that the internet connection light isn't working properly.
It should be safe enough to attempt a disconnect/reconnect via the web interface, does this correct the issue?  Likely a firmware glitch that would be corrected by a reboot TBH but as long as it's actually working.....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SteveA
Pro

I did consider the same sort of thing - it is a Thomson after all and they all have some very odd quirks (I had one that would report negative SNRs, and another that would maintain a good connection with a SNR of 0)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most of the routers I've ever had (quite a few) would mis-report something or other but incorrect indication on the LEDs is a new one for me.  Buggy firmware is pretty common as manufacturers keep launching new models and features and spending too much time on firmware is a cost they don't want.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Heloman
Grafter

I think it must be a peculiarity of this router.
I've had my TG582N for a month now and the same thing has happened twice.
On each occasion I still had an internet connection and on each occasion I re-booted the router and it went back to green.
Otherwise I'm very happy with the router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Anyone tried to see what happens if you just Disconnected the PPP Internet session at the Interface and then Connect again?
SteveA
Pro

It makes no difference.
What I have noticed is that the "internet" light is permanently on when the red light is on - does this mean that its trying to get something from plusnet, and not getting it, and thus chewing up bandwidth?
prichardson
Grafter

No, the Internet light is designated to indicate the status of the PPP session. Off when nothing is up, red when authentication fails and green when online.
It does also blink to indicate data transfer across the PPP session.
If this problem is continuing after a reboot (even if it takes a while), we can arrange a replacement unit to be sent. That's your own choice in this instance though if it is not resulting in any performance concerns.
SteveA
Pro

No - its just that I noticed yesterday that the green internet light was on totally solid when its usually blinking.
I don't think PN would want to ship me yet another router 😉
ntownsend

I seem to have the same issue - the router seems to be working absolutely fine, but the internet light is solid red. I cleared the event log and did a restart and it is now solid green. Should I be concerned?
sjwilliams

I have a Thomson TG585 v7 (firmware 8.2.6.5) and it also exhibits this behaviour now and again. Like the OP my connection seems to be working normally and a restart turns the LED green.
It only appears to have started happening since my exchange was upgraded to 21CN, so I wonder if that is a possible reason for the change in the router's behaviour.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unless it starts to impact your service I wouldn't say it was anything to worry about, though of course we'll be happy to look into any concerns that may be raised.
Glengavel
Dabbler

Matt, does that mean it's normal for the Internet LED to flash green? There's no mention of such a condition in my user guide (Welcome to Plusnet, page 15).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@Glengavel
Yes it is normal, it blinks to indicate data transfer across the PPP session.
Glengavel
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.