cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n not remembering settings including UPnP.

Stef1
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n not remembering settings including UPnP.

HI all
Joined plusnet just over a year ago for ADSL, phone etc
I'm using the Plusnet branded Technicolor TG582n on firmware 10.2.2.B.
Some of my devices (i.e. one of our TVs) rely on UPnP to make connections with various apps on some devices.
For some reason, the TG582n modem / router is not remembering settings. When I log in via the web interface and enable UPnP, it looks like it's enabled ok until I navigate back the page a few minutes later to discover that UPnP is disabled once again.
Also when trying to adjust (restrict) my DHCP IP address range in the DHCP Pools section the TG582n gives me an error message ( "Action failed: could not set interface. Please try again." ). Same error message if I try to change DNS addresses (I've been having intermittent connection problems – which often appear fixed if I used alternative DNS settings on whichever device I'm using so thought I'd change them in TG582n too. Always show the "Action failed: could not set interface. Please try again." message. Sad
I've started trying to resolve things using Telnet, but haven't had any success yet...
Has anyone experienced any similar issues and found a work around?
Is there any way to fix it?
Thanks!
Stef
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Technicolor TG582n not remembering settings.

Try a factory reset and see if that helps.
Stef1
Dabbler

Hiya
Thanks - should've thought of that. Pretty obvious thing to try really.
I've got a couple of other upnp and dnla issues. Trying to track down wether its the TG582n or my TP link power line adapter that are the issue...  more trouble shooting required I think.
Original problem fixed for now. Thanks!
Stef1
Dabbler

er well.... that didn't last long.
Some apps & devices stopped talking to each other this afternoon. Checked the TG852n and it seems UPnP has turned itself off again....  on its own.
Has anyone else come across similar behaviour?
What would cause the router / modem config to change without my intervention?
Thanks
Stef
Anotherone
Champion

Not a problem I'd personally encountered as I didn't use UPnP.  Is there any other customisation that you've set up that might be interacting with the UPnP setting?
You could try re-installing the firmware just in case there's been some corruption, see here.
I'll request a Mod to add UPnP to your title to see if that attracts anyone who's had any UPnP oddities.
Have you solved your DHCP and DNS problem?
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note.
Topic title changed as requested

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Stef1
Dabbler

Re: Technicolor TG582n not remembering settings including UPnP.

Hi & thanks.
Unfortunately the UPnP problem still exists. I've factory reset modem a few times.
Sometimes changing nothing except ensuring UPnP is enabled, other times trying various options too see if anything changes.
Feels like I've exhausted and researched everything I can. I've spent far too much time / late evenings fiddling with this!
I did consider re-installing firmware (I think I already have most recent version ( 10.2.2.B ) but wondered if I re-install might do it.
However the only instructions I've seen require the use of a PC. We've only got a few macs here. Would I be able to re-install firmware if I used a virtual machine with Windows installed on that?  I don't want to risk bricking my modem / router.
Thanks
Stef
Anotherone
Champion

Re: Technicolor TG582n not remembering settings including UPnP.

Be careful with doing several resets in too short a time frame as you are on ADSL. The DLM might see it as an unstable connection.
Yes it can be extremely tiring and frustrating trying to resolve problems like this and eliminate possible causes. Don't give up just yet though Wink
It should be perfectly possible to re-install the firmware (10.2.2.B) using a virtual machine, the only snag would be finding which version of the update tool runs on the virtual machine - see here under the Downloads paragraph and the Note.
For another alternative see this post and as mentioned in the thread, there's the possibility of Plusnet pushing the firmware (assuming it's serial number is on your account - ie issued to you) but that would be next week sometime in office hours if a member of the CRT is available to organise it.
Once done, I would do a separate backup of the Config as you make changes to the settings so that you can easily reload a given Config should you find a subsequent one has issues but a previous one didn't.