cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n & Multiasking

Dodgexander
Grafter

Technicolor TG582n & Multiasking

Is it normal to not be able to multitask using this modem/router?
Its strange, if I am uploading a video, or downloading,  I can no longer be in a skype call without the other people not hearing me clearly and breaking up.
Doesn't matter if its on the same computer, a different computer, or my phone. It seems doing one thing makes other things unusable. I don't have this problem with my TP-Link modem/router.
Is there any way to change this? Its irritating to say the least.
49 REPLIES 49
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Technicolor TG582n & Multiasking

Well the obvious way to fix it is to use your TP-Link router.  In general the problem would imply a lack of raw bandwidth (download/upload speed) so would be nothing to do with the router per se. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Would be interesting to know what package you're on?  Must admit this isn't a problem I've ever had with the Technicolor routers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dodgexander
Grafter

I have tested it in two locations, same router actually.
Both unlimited packages, one (at the moment) ADSL 2 syncing at 17mbs and at home ADSL1 syncing at 1mb. Same problem with both.
I use to be able to set my pc downloading overnight and still take a skype call on my phone, but now I can't without having to pause any download or uploads. For some reason there is no preference for skype. Browsing the web is fine. At first I thought perhaps it was my slow connection at home (even though I haven't had to pause downloading previously) but now I also see it on a different connection also.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

First step would be to Wireshark a Skype call (without anything else running to make it easier) and verify that it is being put in to the correct queue. I have a similar issue at the moment with VoIP calls ending up in bronze (but I understand a fix is due to roll out this week).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

How fast is the video uploading?  It could well be that you are maxing your upstream which is preventing your Skype packets from getting to your caller.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

aaand if this is the case, we may be able to set a QoS rule on the router to protect Skype traffic.  Matt is going to have a think. 
Dodgexander:  Would you like to be a guineapig?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Estragon
Rising Star

Even downloading video can do it if too many streams/seeds are used, as the ACKs on the upstream can swamp it.
What upstream connection speed has the OP got?
Dodgexander
Grafter

Yes I don't mind being a guinea pig!!
My upload is 448kpbs
I can't trace skype calls in wireshark, skype prevents it. - Ports show in windows network monitor tool, but are never the same as the specified port in skype and they are not traceable in wireshark. I think it has something to do with skype hiding the traffic. Does www.007guard.com have something to do with this? In the windows network tool that was showing running on the same port as skype.
If it is the amount of connections it needs very little until it breaks up and as I said, this doesn't happen on my old router/modem.
The upload of the video was running at 30-32kbps.
The easiest way to replicate the the problem is running my torrent client. Any idea how many concurrent connections the router is able to handle?
So plusnet supports QoS? Perhaps it will be difficult to set skype as a preference since it masks its connection, plus it seems to always use a different port, despite setting it in skype.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

007guard appears to have nothing to do with anything - apparently some anti-malware software blocks that domain by putting an entry into the hosts file to point the 007guard domain to 127.0.0.1, but when windows network tool does a reverse lookup of 127.0.0.1, it comes up with 007guard rather than localhost.
Dodgexander
Grafter

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The TCP port number is completely unrelated to the process ID number (PID).
Dodgexander
Grafter

Okay, so now i manage to view skype in winshark, but what should i be looking for?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Dodgexander
Grafter

All outbound are all showing as 0x00 but inbound are 0x28 both with tcp and udp.