cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n Unable to share USB memory stick Windows 8

gfdbill

Technicolor TG582n Unable to share USB memory stick Windows 8

When I click the "Computer" icon, I can see the router as a "Network Location", but no sign of the memory stick which is plugged into it.  On my wife's Windows 7 PC - there it is!
Can anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong?
15 REPLIES 15
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor TG582n Unable to share USB memory stick Windows 8

Network discovery can be slow to find these things, the following may help workaround that.
Click the globe (bottom left corner) and in the "search programs and files" box enter the following, that should find the attached usb memory stick in windows explorer.
\\192.168.1.253
From there you can map it to a drive letter.
gfdbill

Tried the suggested solution but the search did not come up with anything.  Could you clarify?  I am aware the my router's IP address is 192.168.1.254, but do not understand why you suggest .253
I can ping both addresses, and get replies.
npr
Pro

The routers file server is usually, but not always, configured to be on IP address 192.168.1.253
So if you have a memory stick in the routers usb port you can access it at the above IP address.
On some of this routers older firmware the fileserver address is floating and often can be found on 192.168.1.64.
You may not be using the right search box. I'm forgetting I run a program on my win8.1 machine to make it appear as win7, http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/?Referer=cnet --- I don't need to bother with all that metro stuff.
On my system I just click the globe bottom left and in the search box there I enter:
\\192.168.1.253    then hit enter
That starts windows explorer displaying the attached usb device as a folder.

npr
Pro

The above post prompted me to check if there's a update for start8, what a pa-larva that was. While I couldn't find my activation key to get the new version of start8 working  Undecided , I took the opportunity to access the usb drive while in native win8.
This worked:
Right click on the windows icon, bottom left corner, select run, in that box enter the IP address.
gfdbill

npr:  Thanks for the trouble you have taken.  I run a program called "classic shell" which makes my laptop look like a Vista machine - I'm that much of a traditionalist!!  Some progress.  I can now "see" the disk, but can't actually open it to view files. After about 2 minutes,  I get an offer to run the Network Troubleshooter, and this reports "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" (How very helpful!!)  .
I have just walked into the next room and using my wife's Win 7 PC The "Technicolor" appears as another computer - double-click on it and you see the "Disk" which you can then open and see all the files.  Frustrating or what?
By the way, you were right originally that the IP address is ....253 (my laptop is .64).  For further info we are both plugged directly into the router by cables - see what I mean by traditionalist?
Any more ideas?  If not I will have to resort to "Sneakernet"
Bill
npr
Pro

Could it be being blocked by windows firewall?
Try disabling the firewall, if you can then access the disk it may be the firewall is set to "public" for the connection to the router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How is the Memory Stick formatted? If it's NTFS then the 582n won't recognise it, it has to be FAT/FAT32.
gfdbill

I tried disabling the firewall (Norton) but no difference.  The format if FAT.
npr
Pro

Does your wife's win7 PC run norton?  Undecided
gfdbill

Yes.  I have just used her PC to copy a file to the memory stick.  I then came back to my laptop, pinged the .253 IP address, got responses back in 1MS, opened Windows Explorer - can now see the router - displayed as if it were a network PC.  When I try to access it, I get a network error code 0x80070035 "The network path was not found"  So frustrating!!  Ping can see it alright, Windows 7 can see it alright, but not Windows  Explorer on Win 8!
npr
Pro

Have you tried accessing the public folder on your wife's PC.
If you can't access that as well as the memory stick I would suspect your firewall is causing the problem, but I am prejudiced against these bloated security programs. Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ping uses ICMP protocol, so I was thinking along the lines of possibly Firewall issues. What size is the memory stick? I can't recall without digging through some notes if there may be some limit on maximum size, this may be a total red herring!
gfdbill

In answer to two questions, Yes I can access shared folders from the other PC.  The memory stick is 2GB, so I don't suppose that is above limits (just to remind you, the Windows 7 PC can see it OK and I can't imagine a Win 8 PC would have lower limits).
As far as a Firewall is concerned, surely a firewall is there to prevent intrusion from outside my home network - not to prevent sharing of data within it?
npr
Pro

IMO bloated security programs try to protect you from all sorts of threats real or imaginary, some of the time they just get in the way and slow things down. But as I said before I prejudiced against them.
The routers firewall and windows own firewall will both protect against intrusion from outside your home network. If that's all you need why use Norton?